Discuss Supply fuse - quote to change. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
My customer needs bigger than 60A supply. Currently BS1361 60A. 4 bedroom house, 4 kids, new circuits..

Before I started in the place it came up at 72A (with diversity), and after my 2 new circuits I am 79A (with diversity). PME, nice condition, modern supply cable, Ze 0.27 so should be able to take 80A fuse).

Given the additions, however I look at it and use diversity I need 80A.

Since I'll be inspected on this job (Mr NICEIC etc), I am sure this needs to be shown to be all ticked off OK. The quote from SSE is £131.42+VAT to upgrade the fuse. Surely all they are likely to do is confirm Ze, check the supply cable and earthing conductor, and change the fuse. (modern cable and 16mm main earthing conductor).

Is this a typical quote? I haven't told the customer yet but he's not going to like it given that in his eyes he gets nothing for it.

Is someone here now going to tell me that they just change the fuse anyway without informing DNO? DNO never seem know what the fuse rating is anyhow when I've asked them before.

Justin

Whack lots of high current loads on the system and I bet a pound to a penny,you will be surprised at what it doesn't pull
Add to that,the 60 amp fuse will take quite a bit more than that for quite some time and £100+ pounds may be unnecessary cost

As long as your system can cope with a 80 or 100 amp supply,the supply itself is a seperate issue. unless that 60 amp gets roasted
of course

I'm just trying to work out why they would charge 130+ quid to up-grade a fuse?? Isn't that what your paying a monthly standing charge for?? A few years ago the local DNO was going round upgrading 60A service fuses for 80A fuses, while changing/upgrading the meters (40 max)... No charge was ever levied.

My customer needs bigger than 60A supply. Currently BS1361 60A. 4 bedroom house, 4 kids, new circuits..

You sure about that?! I've just built a massive four bed, ground source, water bore, treatment, sewerage, the works..... currently sitting on an 80A. The DNO knows about it, the customer knows about it. If it goes pop in the winter then there's a £4k bill to change the pole transformer, so we'll all just wait and see. Diversity came out at something like 220A.

as des and tony's posts. leave well alone. just reduce the max. demand figure on your cert.

when i moved into my dad's house ( 1988 ), it ran at a calculated 85A total load for 2 years on a 30A rewireable, before it finally died.

Last edited:
You sure about that?! I've just built a massive four bed, ground source, water bore, treatment, sewerage, the works..... currently sitting on an 80A. The DNO knows about it, the customer knows about it. If it goes pop in the winter then there's a £4k bill to change the pole transformer, so we'll all just wait and see. Diversity came out at something like 220A.

What are you getting when you clamp the tails? Im just interested in whats being pulled, from almost a worst case scenario, going by what youve posted

The charge is obviously just a standard service fee as it's you that are calling them.

I'd wait and if it blows the chances are whoever comes from SSE will most likely fit an 80a replacement.

Tell the client the costs and let them make the decision, and tell them to keep a big pack of Hobnobs on standby just in case SSE have to come, might even get a 100a for that.

Last edited:
i was talking to some contractors from SSE who recently came out for a pme enquiry and they said company policy was to change 60a free of charge if they do go so i would leave well alone.

Wow such a lot of responses. Thanks. All confirming my own opinion really.

What I was trying to do was cover myself for the question Mr NICEIC might inevitably ask me. I was hoping to have a robust response up my sleeve.

As TopCat says:

"If asked by NICEIC inspector what method did you use for working out the estimated load say "the common sense method", you may even get a smile!

If I can "pass" an inspection under this sort of hand-waving policy than that's fine by me. It's not the way we've been taught to behave but I do see how classroom and reality are not always the same thing.

I'll give SSE a call anyway and ask if they'll l get me an 80A fuse for free, no harm, asking.

Rgds

Before I started in the place it came up at 72A (with diversity), and after my 2 new circuits I am 79A (with diversity). PME, nice condition, modern supply cable, Ze 0.27 so should be able to take 80A fuse).

Given the additions, however I look at it and use diversity I need 80A.

Since I'll be inspected on this job (Mr NICEIC etc), I am sure this needs to be shown to be all ticked off OK. The quote from SSE is £131.42+VAT to upgrade the fuse. Surely all they are likely to do is confirm Ze, check the supply cable and earthing conductor, and change the fuse. (modern cable and 16mm main earthing conductor).

Is this a typical quote? I haven't told the customer yet but he's not going to like it given that in his eyes he gets nothing for it.

Is someone here now going to tell me that they just change the fuse anyway without informing DNO? DNO never seem know what the fuse rating is anyhow when I've asked them before.

Justin

they have installed this BS1361 60A either because they didnt have an 80A on the van or they did it knowing more money again for company in years to come YOU CHANGE IT to 80A £40 you say its got a modern supply cable same as any other.
"just put my tin hat on" :army:
and yeh DNO wont like it cause they havnt got there £131.42 +vat

they have installed this BS1361 60A either because they didn't have an 80A on the van or they did it knowing more money again for company in years to come YOU CHANGE IT to 80A £40 you say its got a modern supply cable same as any other.
"just put my tin hat on" :army:
and ye DNO wont like it cause they haven't got there £131.42 +vat

There's a more than good chance that, that 60A BS1361 fuse has been sitting in that service head cut-out since the 50's or 60's, long before 80A fuses became the norm!!!

As for changing it yourself, ...well, your the same guy that liked the idea, that you can convert your service head to PME yourself!!! ...Enough said!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Supply fuse - quote to change. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net