Discuss Supply pillars on beaches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am a facilities manager and have been investigating some feeder pillars set up a beach.

We recently found a few pillars taken off a PME supple. They just had some 10mm swa going over to a non ip rates dist board in a wooden!!?! box that’s sits maybe 200mm above highest tide point.

I know there are plenty of issues with this, I.e. earthing arrangements, IP ratings, location etc. But we would like to replace them with a more acceptable solution

Does anyone know if there are certain regulations in writing on this and if so where are they. No special locations in the regs books relate to beaches.

Thanks

I am a facilities manager and have been investigating some feeder pillars set up a beach.

We recently found a few pillars taken off a PME supple. They just had some 10mm swa going over to a non ip rates dist board in a wooden!!?! box that’s sits maybe 200mm above highest tide point.

I know there are plenty of issues with this, I.e. earthing arrangements, IP ratings, location etc. But we would like to replace them with a more acceptable solution

Does anyone know if there are certain regulations in writing on this and if so where are they. No special locations in the regs books relate to beaches.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum mate.
Are you intending to do this work yourself or to get an electrician in to do it?

Section 709, although for marinas and similar locations, would be a good place to start.

Hi. Thanks for the welcome.

I am not an electrician and won’t be doing anything myself.

I am just after any rules and regulations that govern these kind of installations. After speaking with electricians it appears to be a bit of a grey area with differing opinions.

Thanks

Section 709 seems to mainly focus on power supplies for boats etc and obviously the fact this would be in sand and subjected to the tide would probable have an impact on certain parts of the install.

What would the intended supplies before? Can’t think of anything other lighting that would want to be on or near a beach, especially if the tides might affect them?

Let’s say for bouncy castles, ice cream stalls etc. All that’s needed is a small DB that runs a couple of 13a commando sockets.
In case it wasn’t clear the supply would be taken from a hard standing shore side.

If there is no BS literature or anything like that then I assume this isn’t feasible.

Thanks

From the looks of the wiring regulations there aren't any specific regulations covering the location, which should imply providing you follow the regulations covering say outside locations and the correct earthing etc. there shouldn't be a problem.

I guess the biggest issue is keeping the sea out of the enclosures. I'm pretty confident there are suitably rated GRP enclosures that would be up to the job.

But, I'm sure if there are specific standards that cover this type of location someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Section 709 seems to mainly focus on power supplies for boats etc and obviously the fact this would be in sand and subjected to the tide would probable have an impact on certain parts of the install.
As I said, a good starting point.

The installation would have to be designed to take into account solid object ingress, higher risk of corrosion from higher salt levels etc.

You will find a lot of equipment rated for marinas would, more then likely, be more than suitable for this kind of installation.

The biggest issue I've faced working in locations such as this is ducts not being sealed properly and filling up with sand, getting new cables in can be next to impossible.

Certainly an interesting project.. And yes the regs won't cover this exact topic, and please don't give the IET ideas.

So the sections covering pools and marinas are your place to start, plus you need to consider where the supply will come from and who it will run to these pillars....

Hope this helps

I think a major concern will be using as much non-metal or all stainless steel fittings as possible due to the accelerated corrosion from the salt water.
GRP enclosures with stainless steel hinges etc.

Hi,is this a private or local authority project?

Also,is the switching/ADS included or at source?

This type of supply can be done but the cost is going to be prohibitive.

Installing on a beach above the high tide mark doesn't mean the equipment isn't going to be submerged during storms. IP66/67 marine grade equipment is very expensive.

Reply to Supply pillars on beaches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net