Discuss Supply to Fixed 200 Year Old Boat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A bit out of the ordinary this one.

Carrying out an electrical install on a 200 year old ex warship.
We have installed Rcbo protection on all local circuits on the boat.
There is a 50mm 4 core swa cable going to be supplying the boat direct from a lucy box with a isolator then cutout and meter supply from the Dno on land.
We are also going to be providing a Earth rod for a TT system but would the supply cable supplying to the boat require Rcd protection?

Ive been referring to Marinas regs for advice but im aware its more in reference to smaller boats hooking up to a socket rather then a ex warship perminatetly docked now used as a museum.

Any thoughts?

I have NOT stolen the ship!
More pics please!
Kinda thinking this is a wooden ship...now, my experience of permanently wiring one is very limited indeed, but the marina regs are very strict...however, they really relate to Mr Bigshot and his plastic Sunseeker and plugging into shorepower to run his TV, microwave and multi-lever battery charging system..or the fella who has a wee dayboat who just needs some light in the evening.
However, I recently attended an exhibition of traditional craft where one guy told me he had bought loads of timber from a sunken wooden lightvessel...long story short, he had to take all the reclaimed timber out of his project because the salt-water impregnated wood played havoc with the electrical systems...so I guess this isn't just like a shed, it's a battery, sitting in the sea...I don't know how one would insulate such a thing from the electrical installations being put in there, but I would really, really love to find out!

simple. you stick a couple of electrodes into the hull. instant electricity. who needs a mains connection?

DPG, I believe the 18th regs mention that you can use the anchor as an earth rod. I may have made this up though....
Not far wrong, actually!
In the ocean, if you have a sailing boat with a high mast, many of which are aluminium, if there is lightning about it is common practice to bring the chain on deck, drape it around the rigging (stainless steel, usually,) and then drop the anchor and the rest of the chain over the side, hoping that if you are struck, the force will be dissipated...however, these days, you can be absolutely sure that your fancy electronic nav systems etc will be fried anyway, unless you unplug them.

To be fair, Tel...the electrodes are the problem. More specifically the sacrificial anodes...fortunately, Kev hasn't yet got round to fitting those in his Galley Business!
I mean, imagine if you wired that lot wrongly, and your rudder fell off?

To be fair, Tel...the electrodes are the problem. More specifically the sacrificial anodes...fortunately, Kev hasn't yet got round to fitting those in his Galley Business!
I mean, imagine if you wired that lot wrongly, and your rudder fell off?
maybe the ship would zink ( did you like that?)

Reply to Supply to Fixed 200 Year Old Boat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net