Discuss Supply to outbuilding (Shed) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

manos

-
Reaction score
Good evening

I am an electrician from abroad, I have my 17th edition pased in UK and I am working as an electrician in industry since 2012.
I would like to power my shed with a 2.5mm Armoured cable. Can enyone tell me if I can do it as described in digram below.
Do I need the socket outlet after the Switched Fused Spur.
If not any sugestions ?

Attachments

• Shed.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 74
Hello Manos and Welcome to the Forum !
Well it is the weekend - time for some work on the shed. Not meaning to sound funny, but how about consulting your BYB and OSG ?

looks good from this seat. is the SWA going to be buried? i'd suggest using T/E in the house, through wall into adaptable box, then gland SWA from there.similar arrangement at shed.

Where to start...
What earthing arrangement do you have? What are you intending to power...
But having just read your post again. I find it alarming that with 5 years uk electrical experience and possible scheme member? you can not wire a shed!!! The fact you are asking the question tells me you are out of. Your depth and suggest you get another local electrician in to do the job. If you mess ot up you will have to get one round anyway. This may sound really harsh and abrupt but i figured its best to speak my mind. I appreciate you may be working in the industry but likewise i wouldnt go working in a power station i am more commercial and domestic focused i would be out of my depth.

but from your diagram there is a lot of info missing such as distance. Cable routes etc.... If the shed is right by the house its not such an issue but if it's end of a long garden a different endeavour altogether.

Last edited:
Where to start...
What earthing arrangement do you have? What are you intending to power...
But having just read your post again. I find it alarming that with 5 years uk electrical experience and possible scheme member? you can not wire a shed!!! The fact you are asking the question tells me you are out of. Your depth and suggest you get an electrician in to do the job. If you mess ot up you will have to get one round anyway.
OP is working industrial and probably just unsure of the domestic side.

Hum... Being industrial is normally an excuse ....... Because an industrial spark uses completely different regs ....

Depending on the industry they can have different regulations to work to, which are often law rather than the non-statutory nature of bs7671.

However they will all be of a higher standard than bs7671 so your point still kind of stands.

Completely different Regs, news to me.

Assuming that's a reply to my post then i did not say they are completely different, just different. For example if it is a mine or quarry then the mines and quarries regulations apply, if it is a foundry then the foundries act applies. Other industrial environments also have their own regulations such as petrochemical works.
All are different to bs7671 and are enforced by law.

what i meant with my post was that you'd rarely see something like lighting being fed from a RFC via a FCU in an industrial situation. the regs. are the same, it's the practical aspect that varies. usually something that is common in the domestic sector may never be seen in a factory.

It wasn't Dave and quarry works sprung to my mind as I dabbled a bit in the past but the fundamental requirements of BS7671 still apply but in their own Codes. Most industry which has a separate set of Rules and Regs is generally due to specific risks the industry.

all methods do'nt make allowances for your still exploding and firing the shed into orbit.

Good morning to all of you guys
Thanks for all your comments I understand what you are saying but I do have 25 years experience abroad (EU) in domestic and industrial environment. The law abroad is totally different from UK . The electrical installation is the same expect we do not have Ring main we have Radial etc. We do not use fused spurs. If we want to have power to a small shed or else we take power from the CU with the appropriate cable etc.
Just a few notes regarding power to the shed.
The cable is buried according to Regs. Shed is 5m from house.
A 2,5mm twin and earth cable is fed from inside house to outside Adaptable Box IP65 110 x 110 x 67mm (17962 from screwfix), the armoured cable is fed to the box with SWA gland and connected to the box terminals and waiting inside shed for now.
My question was do I need to have a Socket Outlet after the Switched Fused Spur or not.

I think they put it in the diagram to illustrate that after the fuse you can put outlets and loads, all being protected by that fuse. You mentioned the European method of a new circuit from the CU - that's what is done here too. The diagram is just the minimum, a low cost alternative with lower power and perhaps a higher chance of tripping a house circuit :) .

Reply to Supply to outbuilding (Shed) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net