Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Supply to outbuilding (Shed) in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. manos

manos EF Member

Good evening

I am an electrician from abroad, I have my 17th edition pased in UK and I am working as an electrician in industry since 2012.
    I would like to power my shed with a 2.5mm Armoured cable. Can enyone tell me if I can do it as described in digram below.
    Do I need the socket outlet after the Switched Fused Spur.
    If not any sugestions ?

Attached Files:

2. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hello Manos and Welcome to the Forum !
    Well it is the weekend - time for some work on the shed. Not meaning to sound funny, but how about consulting your BYB and OSG ?

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    looks good from this seat. is the SWA going to be buried? i'd suggest using T/E in the house, through wall into adaptable box, then gland SWA from there.similar arrangement at shed.

4. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde the lights are on but nobody is home

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services
    Where to start...
    What earthing arrangement do you have? What are you intending to power...
    But having just read your post again. I find it alarming that with 5 years uk electrical experience and possible scheme member? you can not wire a shed!!! The fact you are asking the question tells me you are out of. Your depth and suggest you get another local electrician in to do the job. If you mess ot up you will have to get one round anyway. This may sound really harsh and abrupt but i figured its best to speak my mind. I appreciate you may be working in the industry but likewise i wouldnt go working in a power station i am more commercial and domestic focused i would be out of my depth.

but from your diagram there is a lot of info missing such as distance. Cable routes etc.... If the shed is right by the house its not such an issue but if it's end of a long garden a different endeavour altogether.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  5. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    OP is working industrial and probably just unsure of the domestic side.

6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hum... Being industrial is normally an excuse ....... Because an industrial spark uses completely different regs ....

7. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde the lights are on but nobody is home

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services
    I did think maybe i was being harsh in my reply but said what i felt. At same time its bettet he asks for help than do an utter bodge job and cause damage.

8. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

BS7671 is the same for domestic as it is for industrial, which he has passed the exam for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. davesparks

Depending on the industry they can have different regulations to work to, which are often law rather than the non-statutory nature of bs7671.

However they will all be of a higher standard than bs7671 so your point still kind of stands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Completely different Regs, news to me.

11. davesparks

Assuming that's a reply to my post then i did not say they are completely different, just different. For example if it is a mine or quarry then the mines and quarries regulations apply, if it is a foundry then the foundries act applies. Other industrial environments also have their own regulations such as petrochemical works.
    All are different to bs7671 and are enforced by law.

12. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    what i meant with my post was that you'd rarely see something like lighting being fed from a RFC via a FCU in an industrial situation. the regs. are the same, it's the practical aspect that varies. usually something that is common in the domestic sector may never be seen in a factory.

• Like Like x 1
  13. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

It wasn't Dave and quarry works sprung to my mind as I dabbled a bit in the past but the fundamental requirements of BS7671 still apply but in their own Codes. Most industry which has a separate set of Rules and Regs is generally due to specific risks the industry.

14. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

15. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    all methods do'nt make allowances for your still exploding and firing the shed into orbit.

16. manos

manos EF Member

Good morning to all of you guys
    Thanks for all your comments I understand what you are saying but I do have 25 years experience abroad (EU) in domestic and industrial environment. The law abroad is totally different from UK . The electrical installation is the same expect we do not have Ring main we have Radial etc. We do not use fused spurs. If we want to have power to a small shed or else we take power from the CU with the appropriate cable etc.
    Just a few notes regarding power to the shed.
    The cable is buried according to Regs. Shed is 5m from house.
    A 2,5mm twin and earth cable is fed from inside house to outside Adaptable Box IP65 110 x 110 x 67mm (17962 from screwfix), the armoured cable is fed to the box with SWA gland and connected to the box terminals and waiting inside shed for now.
    My question was do I need to have a Socket Outlet after the Switched Fused Spur or not.

17. diditrain

diditrain Electrician's Arms

No, you don`t need to have the socket outlet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. manos

manos EF Member

Thank you very much for your answer

19. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    I think they put it in the diagram to illustrate that after the fuse you can put outlets and loads, all being protected by that fuse. You mentioned the European method of a new circuit from the CU - that's what is done here too. The diagram is just the minimum, a low cost alternative with lower power and perhaps a higher chance of tripping a house circuit :) .

20. manos

manos EF Member

This is what I have done

21. manos

manos EF Member

It is not easy to supply the sed from the house CU that's why I am doing this low cost alternative method. The shed is going to have a light and a double socket. I do know if there is a problem in the shed my RCD is going to trip in the house. If I have this problem in future (hope not) then I have to find a way to get power from house CU with the correct cable, MCB and CU (including RCD) at shed and take power before the house RCD so no tripping the house RCD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Not really an exam is it, more an exercise in how to read a book, although you do get a certificate at the end.

23. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

You drawing (which is well done by the way) shows a 16 Amp switched fused spur, not possible 13mp is the max.

24. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    what could be done is instead of a FCU, fit a 16A MCB in a small enclosure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. manos

manos EF Member

Fused spur is 13amps sory for my drawing mistake

26. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

That's OK no need to be sorty:D:p

27. manos

manos EF Member

I have edit my sorty with sorry

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. manos

manos EF Member

Well in my job they asked us to put led lights at the output of all machines so The can check the products. All the lights are fed from inside of machine 240V and there is a switched fused spur 3A before the light.

29. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    which tere should be. the down rated fuse is to protect the smaller cable feeding the light/s

30. manos

manos EF Member

6 amp