Discuss Supply to Showerblock for glamping in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jimbosmith

Hi guys, some friends of mine are setting up a glamping business and have asked for some advice from me regarding the electrics

Farmhouse/farmshop fed from a 3phase supply.

They want to set up a showerblock roughly 120m away from the incommer. Now the problem they are wanting to use 2 electric showers(no idea loading on these), lights and a couple of sockets.

Any ideas on the best way to do this? Quick calculation on a 60amp supply puts the cable at a 50mm 3core armoured. Its the showers which are the main problem. Im tempted to tell them to install a oil boiler and do away with the electric showers which will drop the loading and then the 60amp would be sufficient for everything the need. Any helps would be appreciated

You need to present your friends with some rough costs and pros and cons...... Then let them stew! Otherwise you will go round and round designing it....... Then they will give the spec to others to quote.

I would definitely not be installing electric showers.

Hi - a few thoughts - hope they help :)
For greater than 100m we are permitted to have more than 5%, up to 5.25% at 150m (since it's for glamping showers I wouldn't use the lighting limits). Using 35mm seems to fit within this voltage drop for the 60A you mention. But for 2 showers and some lights wouldn't 40A per phase be enough? Then 25mm 3phase should be ok. Need to think about TT at the shower block, I reckon.

You could also think about investing in PV and heat the water with immersion during the summer. Google iBoost.

Hi - a few thoughts - hope they help :)
For greater than 100m we are permitted to have more than 5%, up to 5.25% at 150m (since it's for glamping showers I wouldn't use the lighting limits). Using 35mm seems to fit within this voltage drop for the 60A you mention. But for 2 showers and some lights wouldn't 40A per phase be enough? Then 25mm 3phase should be ok. Need to think about TT at the shower block, I reckon.

This is going to be feeding lighting circuits so needs to comply with the lighting VD.

How much BD have you allowed for in the final circuits?

Hi guys, some friends of mine are setting up a glamping business and have asked for some advice from me regarding the electrics

Farmhouse/farmshop fed from a 3phase supply.

They want to set up a showerblock roughly 120m away from the incommer. Now the problem they are wanting to use 2 electric showers(no idea loading on these), lights and a couple of sockets.

Any ideas on the best way to do this? Quick calculation on a 60amp supply puts the cable at a 50mm 3core armoured. Its the showers which are the main problem. Im tempted to tell them to install a oil boiler and do away with the electric showers which will drop the loading and then the 60amp would be sufficient for everything the need. Any helps would be appreciated

How are you intending to get a 3ph supply down a three core cable? Or are you just using single phase and putting the supply out of balance?

Their best bet in my opinion would be an unvented cylinder heated by solar (the wet type, not PV) and backed up by the immersion heater.

You could also think about investing in PV and heat the water with immersion during the summer. Google iBoost.

Better to use solar water heating (I don't know the correct term) rather than PV, it'll be more efficient than converting the energy to electricity and then to heat.

Fed FROM a three phase supply. Don't think he intends to take all 3 to the building?

60A, 30/shower on 1 phase.

Reply to Supply to Showerblock for glamping in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock