Discuss Supply voltages around the UK in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Steve D

Hi All,

Our company is dealing with a very large korean appliance manufacturer (let's just call them GL for arguments sake !), as we are going to be selling some of their large commercial washing machines and dryers.

They are confused with the voltage in this country. We have explained that nominal is 230V +10%, -6%, and we have said that realistically, measured at the origin it's likely to be around 240V. After extensive Google searching, many places seem to say that the average is approx 242V.

What they've asked for is some sort of chart of average voltages in the various regions of the UK. Does anything like this exist on the web ? I certainly can't find anything.

I'm surprised they're asking all these questions about our supply as they sell all sorts of equipment into the UK market. It's not like the UK is a new market to them.

Anyway - can any of you guys help ?

Cheers
Steve

as you say Nominal is 230 most actualy reads around 240 but then theres places like myinlaws where its 229 max if they still require this information you could ask national grid but I assume all you would get from them is 230V as per the script

Hi Steve,
I'm not an expert in this field but I think this differs from substation to substation. I measure 239V at home
and the nearest substation is behind the back yard fence. Try contacting the different DNOs might help.:)

Working on a property a few weeks back and the voltage was at 255v but I have seen voltage readings as low as 218v. Problem is as we all know the voltage is dependant on the load in the local area and as this is variable so is the voltage

Cheers for your replies guys.

We have actually got a contact at national grid, and alarmingly in his reply said nominal was "230V single phase and 415V 3phase" !!. he also talked a lot about power factors etc , but didn't really give us any info with substance.

I suspect the DNOs will quote 230V, as the 'book figure', just like they would quote an unrealisticly high PFC if you were to call them.

I remember going to a manweb presentation on the voltage harmonisation many years ago the final comment from one of the network engineers was as 240v fell within the -10%/+6% of 230v they were going to do nothing to the network to reduce the voltage to 230v unless equipment failure occurred or equipment maintenance was needed and then they would reduce the voltage to 230v

All you can do I think in this instance is quote the official 230 nominal with % tolerances...If you quote anything else, and then there are issues with the machines, then this could come back and bite your company.

Yooj

I remember going to a manweb presentation on the voltage harmonisation many years ago the final comment from one of the network engineers was as 240v fell within the -10%/+6% of 230v they were going to do nothing to the network to reduce the voltage to 230v unless equipment failure occurred or equipment maintenance was needed and then they would reduce the voltage to 230v

Other way around. +10% - 6%

Even on the same transformer voltages wil vary according to load and the distance of the installation from the transformer.

Reply to Supply voltages around the UK in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock