Discuss Supplying a converted Bus in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TDG

-
Reaction score
First time poster.

I’m hoping to get a bit of insight for a business I’m starting up.

I’m converting a double decker bus (Volvo B7TL) into a shop. I’m interested in how much power I would need to light and heat the thing, and the best way of getting an external power supply.

The bus was powered by two twelve volt batteries, but my intention is to set up an external supply. We will need to power:

- Inbuilt lighting (standard fitting)

- Already fitted CCTV

- Already fitted bus heating

- Electronic devices (lap-top, IZettle electronic till, 32 inch TV screen, 3-4 small electric devices, e.g - cameras, battery charges for IPhones’ and camera batteries)

I want to know if a domestic feed will be enough to power it all, and a rough idea of what the wattage would be? And how / how easy it would be to wire it all together? The bus will be static and based in central London.

It would also be great to know the best sustainable way of doing this, how many solar panels would I need.

Thanks,

TDG

Have a look in section 717 of BS7671 for mobile and transportable units.

Most units like this will have a 'ceeform' inlet at either 16A or 32A.
Take note about chassis bonding and cable type for the install (usually flex) bootlaces ferulls on the cable ends help.

Generator or mains to power the unit.
If you have a street pillar supply for the unit make sure the earting is not TNC-S (PME) as its prohibited for use (apart from a few circumstances where a competent person is present)

Although not strictly 'entertainment' BS7909 is best practice with it being a temporary supply. Also in a inner city location you need to look at other electrical environments around it.

Diesel heaters are good and will considerably lower your max demand.

Go on,Tel,explain how you got bus-jacked,by a goofy crooner and his crying walking sleeping talking living doll.....;)

Reply to Supplying a converted Bus in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock