Discuss Surface mounting threads for switch plate screws are wrung off. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

StepOne

Hi everyone,

As you know each surface mount box for a lighting switch has two threaded metal tabs for the screws to attach the front switch plate. On one of our boxes the threads have been wrung off and as a result the screws no longer tighten.

Is there a solution to this problem, without having to digout and replace the box?

Many thanks for any helpyou may be able to provide.

Drill a 3mm hole in the rear of the box , then use a 3.5mm tap and then a long socket screw...

Hi everyone,

As you know each surface mount box for a lighting switch has two threaded metal tabs for the screws to attach the front switch plate. On one of our boxes the threads have been wrung off and as a result the screws no longer tighten.

Is there a solution to this problem, without having to digout and replace the box?

Many thanks for any helpyou may be able to provide.

Use a set of pipe grips, Mole wrench or similar to slightly squeeze the tab across the two opposite edges. This will close up the hole, which can be re-tapped.

It needs something with good mechanical advantage. An ordinary pair of pliers is unlikely to give enough force.

Last edited:
There was also a thread on here from a while ago which had some good ideas in it for this. Try the search function for 'back box threads' or something similar - some good ideas came up I remember. Last year some time I think. Daz

If you use as long a screw as the back box will allow, and you havn't got fingers like cows t*ts you can get nuts on behind the tab. Makes it a bit of fun for the next bloke as well when it comes to removing it......

Hi everyone,

Many thanks to all wh took thetime to reply.

I've ordered something called the 'Backboxsaver' which looks like plastic clip holding a captive nut that fits over the metal tab in the backbox, here:

https://backboxsaver.com

I'll let you know how I get on...

Expensive yes, but a very good idea. China will copy them soon and they'll be 20p anway :) Daz

As you know each surface mount box for a lighting switch has two threaded metal tabs for the screws to attach the front switch plate.

Have I read this wrong? Surface mount box? As in a plastic pattress box? What would be to dig out on that seeing as it's surface mounted?

I don't think he means surface. He means flush. Daz

Hi everyone,

Many thanks to all wh took thetime to reply.

I've ordered something called the 'Backboxsaver' which looks like plastic clip holding a captive nut that fits over the metal tab in the backbox, here:

https://backboxsaver.com

I'll let you know how I get on...

£4.99, patent pending? If I was a dragon I wouldn't be investing.:)

There are many ways around this relatively easy problem. Most lads,with a dabble of engineering ability,will have found their own method of overcoming,what is a fairly regular thing to encounter.

The peening,or tightening of the original tabs,is usually the easiest method.

If you are ---- enough (that's me...) and half handy with a grinder/MIG,a cracking little tool can be constructed,for just this task.

Get a 10mm ball bearing,and cut it in half,using a mini grinder,with a 1mm slitting disc. Get a mid sized set of vise grips,Aldi ones will do,and Mig spot the ball bearing halves,on to the tips of the grips,so both hemispherical profiles, meet. Dress the front aspects,with a grinder.

A squeeze with these,usually closes the original tapped tab,to either be re-tapped,or function without any further effort.

I was brought up,gunsmithing,on all types of firearms and air-rifles,and a basic part of this trade,is making your own tools,and making tools,to do a specific job.

It somewhat disappoints me,to see lads who have the science and maths of their trade sussed,have the people skills,the business acumen,the kit,the van,the advert.......and never find the need or want,to bring an upgrade in engineering aptitude,to the table.

Not aimed at anyone...just a rant...

Maybe i'm just bitter,coz i get the phone call to assist,from lazy pals,and off i go...buying grips in Aldi...and slicing ball-bearings :biggrinjester:

Reply to Surface mounting threads for switch plate screws are wrung off. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock