Discuss Swa 4core cable used as two 2core circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Working on a job have found a 4core cable going into a weather proof box and splitting up into 2 circuits again at the board it split in two single phase MCB s . My question is would you judge the current carring capacity of the cable as a two wire or four wire

Working on a job have found a 4core cable going into a weather proof box and splitting up into 2 circuits again at the board it split in two single phase MCB s . My question is would you judge the current carring capacity of the cable as a two wire or four wire
What is your opinion on the subject, also taking into consideration the size of the cpc and any bonding that may be required?

it's OK, they been busy on the church roofs while the weather is fine. saving cable nicking for a rainy day.

I always consider the three phase ccc, same for a three core cable as a single phase supply with one core used for a cpc. I think the Tables in 7671 should be reconsidered as they only consider two core for single phase and three or four core to be three phase. Ccc for YY, CY and SY apply correction factors for core quantity as opposed to the number of phases and I think think this is more informative.

I did a job feeding two portacabins about six months ago and used two 3 core cable two feed them and it got me thinking when I seen this today as the two feeds had to be run though ducting and both had to be put in weather proof box es to be connected to flex to be plugged in to the portacabins and I thought it would of been cheaper and quicker to do this if I had a similar job in the future

it's OK, they been busy on the church roofs while the weather is fine. saving cable nicking for a rainy day.
Thieving so and sos. still it comes natural to a dyed in the wood Scouser, part of the curriculum at the last stages of the 4th year at secondary School.

Thieving so and sos. still it comes natural to a dyed in the wood Scouser, part of the curriculum at the last stages of the 4th year at secondary school Borstal .
corrected that for you.

Well it is related to something else that happen lately all my large swa off cuts have been robbed and a 35 meter lengtt of 50mm 4core which I cut out off the ceiling cos it had been damaged has went as well . That was my graft and some pr#£k has robbed it before I could

I did a job feeding two portacabins about six months ago and used two 3 core cable two feed them and it got me thinking when I seen this today as the two feeds had to be run though ducting and both had to be put in weather proof box es to be connected to flex to be plugged in to the portacabins and I thought it would of been cheaper and quicker to do this if I had a similar job in the future
No reason why you cannot do this providing the armour is effective for earthing purposes, the drawback is if it is required to support main protective bonding where the minimum size to support 10mm bonding would be a 50mm 4 core cable.

I always consider the three phase ccc, same for a three core cable as a single phase supply with one core used for a cpc. I think the Tables in 7671 should be reconsidered as they only consider two core for single phase and three or four core to be three phase. Ccc for YY, CY and SY apply correction factors for core quantity as opposed to the number of phases and I think think this is more informative.
I know it's not "right", but I'm thinking 2.3.3.1 which would give a Cg of 0.5 here (?).

Reply to Swa 4core cable used as two 2core circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net