Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Swa as cpc what size ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. dnjr

dnjr Electrician's Arms

Dear all
    Testing a garage that is fed in 2 core swa using the swa as cpc
    Live and neutral are 2.5mm. I know the swa is fine as a cpc but I’m unsure what size to put on certificate for it
    Seen a table that says it’s equivalent to 17mm but in the back of my mind I remember you need to divide by 8.8
    So which goes on the very. 17mm or 1.93mm
    Thanks in advance
    Cheets

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

You are correct in saying the csa is 17mm and the 8.8 factor (there are other factors within the same ball park) gives its conductivity in terms of copper. Most people will just note swa in the column as opposed to a csa.

3. dnjr

dnjr Electrician's Arms

Hi westward. Thanks for the reply( prompt as usual). I didn’t think I could put swa in the box of the cert. it’s the Niceic online cert and I think it needs a number so I guess I go with 1.9mm

4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Well the actual csa is 17mm as the other figure is its equivalent to copper in terms of conductivity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dnjr

dnjr Electrician's Arms

Doh
    Yep there is a copper or steel box from memory so steel 17mm. Perfect. Thank you

• Like Like x 2
  6. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    I use "ARM" instead of a numerical value.

7. dnjr

dnjr Electrician's Arms

Just tried ‘swa’ but Niceic cert online says it needs a number.

8. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    I don't use the online software but use the Clik software. You could try reporting it as a bug to the NIC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. westward10

Computer says no:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
  10. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Record the CSA in the box, it doesn’t ask for the ‘copper equivalent’ or calculated value, just the actual CSA.
    If you had aluminium conductors would you calculate the ‘copper equivalent’ or just record the CSA?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1