Discuss Swa bonding, what method. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jason Shawcross

Hi all

Just need your advice, theirs a discussion going on atm on site between a couple of sparks. We have around 50 apartments being fed by 3core swa from a panel room all glanded into the top of a run of trunking, armour isn't used as cpc. One spark is saying we need to run individual 16mm earth's to each gland
Another is saying 10mm to the first of each set and then looping. I would have thought just bonding the trunking near the board adding some bonding tags in-between the trunking sections and bolting the banjos on would suffice. Tbf the trunking is <o.o1 atm anyway to met. So what's your opinion and regs if possible, don't have book with me.

Thank you.

yhink OP's argument is to use the trunking as cpc.

Needs to be at 1 end at least. No requirement for both but why wouldn't you.

If it's a PME supply then 16mm min for the earth and 10mm min for any bonding needed (can require up to 16mm for bonding if Ze > 0.35 by agreement with DNO, up to Ze of 0.50 if memory serves correct).

The armour being glanded into the steel trunking requires supplementary bonding only if not being used as a cpc in which this situation is not being used as the cpc.
Gland into trunking and link all earth rings together with a supplementary bonding conductor (like 4mm) and take one common supplementary bonding conductor to an earth like the MET or to the panel DB

If the db in the flat is wall mounted and the swa is buried in the wall(masonry or no void) then if your entering the back of the db , it's not always possible it gland the db end.
So gland the supply end.

If the db in the flat is wall mounted and the swa is buried in the wall(masonry or no void) then if your entering the back of the db , it's not always possible it gland the db end.
So gland the supply end.
People don't gland it to the board enclosure because they are too lazy to find a simple solution to do so, just leave it floating in the cavity no one will know is the remit these days.

IF I understand correctly - the swa armour is not the cpc or the bonding conductor, but must be connected back to met so that it may act as cpc if required. So at least one connection to met and daisy chained with sufficient ccc to satisfy adiabatic is my thought. This may already be achieved by the trunking but your 10mm will surely do it?

Last edited:
There's isn't always a cavity to leave it
I know it can be difficult but most things are possible. Entry hole back of board, screw an adaptable box to the rear of it with no lid and use the lid fixing points to fit to the board, gland cable off at adaptable box. Easy peasy on paper and I am already visualizing it in my head:D

IF I understand correctly - the swa armour is not the cpc or the bonding conductor, but must be connected back to met so that it may act as cpc if required. So at least one connection to met and daisy chained with sufficient ccc to satisfy adiabatic is my thought. This may already be achieved by the trunking?
If it's not a cpc then it just requires supplementary bonding to earth

I know it can be difficult but most things are possible. Entry hole back of board, screw an adaptable box to the rear of it with no lid and use the lid fixing points to fit to the board, gland cable off at adaptable box. Easy peasy on paper and I am already visualizing it in my head:D
Good grief !:)

Reply to Swa bonding, what method. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock