Discuss SWA clipped to a fence in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickys86

Hi guys quick question, somebody has told me that you cannot clip SWA to a fence because it isn't structural, and that the best thing to do us either bury it or lay it on the ground. Just wondered what the thoughts were on this....

i would fit some timber low level across the fence posts, then cleat the SWA to the timber

I dont give a hoot about the rights and wrongs, only to say that the swa I saw last week which had been mangled by the lawnmower where it lay on the ground,it would have survived had it been clipped on that rickety fence or buried where they belong

I dont give a hoot about the rights and wrongs, only to say that the swa I saw last week which had been mangled by the lawnmower where it lay on the ground,it would have survived had it been clipped on that rickety fence or buried where they belong

That's exactly what I thought. But the window fitter we had round the other day .... (wait for it, it gets better) has just completed a Electrical Trainee course and I mentioned that I was going to put power in the shed, he asked if I was going to bury the cable and I said I think it'll be better protected clipped to the fence, out of the way. He said I can't do that and it'd be better laid on floor, I asked my boss and he said it'd be better protected clipped to the fence. Just wondered what other people did. :)

Its an interesting point as I was discussing this very point with a client today. Their satalite dish is at the bottom of the garden and the 3 leads are nicely attached to the fence. They want garden lights down the bottom of the garden - so I asked them if the said fence was there's?? They don't know!

So if its their neighbours fence and he tears it down one weekend, they are going to have a problem with their dish cabling!

I said I'd prefer to keep the SWA away from the satalite cabling and place it on the ground in front of the fence.

Reply to SWA clipped to a fence in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net