Discuss SWA Fly lead in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

i beleive its exactly that and i even quoted the regulation should someone wish to dispute my statement.
the fly lead is earthing / providing supplementory or aditional bonding to the armour - just in case i didn't bury it deep enough.
them terms are quite alright i've not made any blaring errors

i beleive its exactly that and i even quoted the regulation should someone wish to dispute my statement.
the fly lead is earthing / providing supplementory or aditional bonding to the armour - just in case i didn't bury it deep enough.
them terms are quite alright i've not made any blaring errors

But what you keep failing to miss is earthing and bonding are two separate things.
Your idea is fine to provide an additional earth tag in case of failure of a decent earthing of the gland to the panel (like if someone fails to scrape off the galvanised paint).
But I would call this earthing because you are providing a back up to the steel wire earthing. Others may have a different opinion. There is no potential difference to occur between the two points because both points are already earthed.

its not a back up to the SWA earthing it is the SWA earthing and yes the proper term is bonding (but we all know the difference)

either way is my original post right or wrong

sorry just red your post am i completely stupid i've been classing the fly lead as the link from the gland nut / banjo to the earth bar.

is the fly lead something different

if the bonding wasn't connected, then theres no connection to earth for the armour.

i'd say the armourd sheath is an extraneous conected part so needs to be connected back to the earth to allow the supply to be automaticaly disconnected by the circut protective devices should a fault occur.

would you not say that?

and heres me thinking a fly lead was so as to take my pet fly walkies.

if the bonding wasn't connected, then theres no connection to earth for the armour.

i'd say the armourd sheath is an extraneous conected part so needs to be connected back to the earth to allow the supply to be automaticaly disconnected by the circut protective devices should a fault occur.

would you not say that?

No I wouldn't.
The SWA is connected to earth via the gland which would be connected to the steel casing of the DB board which is connected to the earth bar via the way it is made. Therefore you don't need a fly lead. If your DB casing is plastic than you would use a fly leadbut this would act as an extension of the earthed steel wire. Therefore an earth.

what steel casing on the DB, its not mentioned, did you presume it was steel, id tend to think if it was steel then the question wouldn't have been asked either way the reply is still the same supplementory bonding is 1/2 protective conductor 544.2

But it's not supplementary bonding.

Why can't you understand that?? The steel wire is not an extraneous part. For starters it's not part of a non-electrical condition because it's part of a cable!! Your not using the fly to bring it to the same potential your using it to earth the cable.

It's the same concept as having an earth wire in a bit of twin and earth. Can't get clearer than that.

so your latest presumption is the sheath is part of the cable,

now thats where i'm going wrong i'm saying the sheath is not part of the cable the cable is the cores the sheath is the armour protecting these cores, and with this being a metal part which will only become live under a fault condition will require supplementory bonding,

i was sure that bit of copper in T&E was the CPC and therefore part of the circuit.

are you now saying you presumed the sheath was being used as a CPC

no please 54 when i get proved wrong i have to correct it so it can only improve me.

i'd guess there are plenty of people out there who don't know these things so its an educational process, we have to stay current and if it turns out i am correct with my assumptions then that can't be a bad thing as it shows some of you old timers on these boards have to be prepared to back up your statements rather than confuse us all with general coments

Are you telling me that in all your time you have never used the STeel wire of SWA cable as a CPC?

I'm going to get my book out in the morning and quote all the regs back to you till it's coming out of your ears.

Reply to SWA Fly lead in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net