Discuss SWA For meter tails? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Really ? Please refer to previous comments of concern suggesting you get an electrician in.
I am involving another electrician... As mentioned previously. Existing tails are in plastic conduit embedded in the wall. This is more like passing through the wall in conduit as does the DNO supply.
If you have feedback on the method based on standards, please refer.

I am involving another electrician... As mentioned previously. Existing tails are in plastic conduit embedded in the wall. This is more like passing through the wall in conduit as does the DNO supply.
If another electrician is involved then it would be most appropriate to ask them about installation methods and all other aspects of the installation if they are to be signing certificates. That is what I would expect if I were doing the same favour.

So you have the help of two Sparkies then?

Not acceptable in my opinion, it would have to be earthed metal conduit to fully comply with the regulations.
I'm actually following the electricians instructions... but thanks for the heads up, I will raise it with him.
(For the benefit of anyone else trying to learn from this thread, the regulations we are discussing here are 522.6.x)
I'm now leaning back towards using 25mm SWA (2 core as I already have a decent earth) with a Henley block once I reach the void (more than 50mm deep) to convert back to double insulated tails and minimise issues with bend radius.

I'm actually following the electricians instructions... but thanks for the heads up, I will raise it with him.
(For the benefit of anyone else trying to learn from this thread, the regulations we are discussing here are 522.6.x)
I'm now leaning back towards using 25mm SWA (2 core as I already have a decent earth) with a Henley block once I reach the void (more than 50mm deep) to convert back to double insulated tails and minimise issues with bend radius.
How will you provide an earth for the armouring on the SWA 2 core?

From looking at the photo's could you not just box that part in therefore you could use standard 25mm tails further back than 50mm outside run in plastic trunking (could even semi recess into pebbledash).

Good point thank you, my thinking hadn't got that far. I could maybe gland off to a galvanised conduit angle box and use Pratley box connectors instead of the Henley block. Plenty of earth's available in the void I could use.
I could use a Pratley box for that matter but seems an expensive option and a bit overkill.
Other than that I would have to put the Henley block in some other sort of box that I could gland off to.

From looking at the photo's could you not just box that part in therefore you could use standard 25mm tails further back than 50mm outside run in plastic trunking (could even semi recess into pebbledash).
The bit I am putting in the wall is in the middle between the void and the outside wall, so I don't quite follow you. If you are suggesting I run it on the surface inside the house, yes I could probably do that, but a bit of a cop out as would be rather unsightly.

The bit I am putting in the wall is in the middle between the void and the outside wall, so I don't quite follow you. If you are suggesting I run it on the surface inside the house, yes I could probably do that, but a bit of a cop out as would be rather unsightly.
From looking at the photo would be only bringing the wall level with the door.

Reply to SWA For meter tails? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net