Discuss SWA in drain permissable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's not necessarily a soakaway: it's a linear drain that may indeed go into a soakaway at one end, or maybe into a proper surface water drainage system. Getting your SWA in and out at either end might be difficult without cutting the cover or some other equally unwieldy method. As others have said, I think it's a horrible idea, although I suspect not against any regulation, as you could argue that the cable is protected by the metal drain structure and unlikely to be damaged. But that doesn't make it a professional way of doing things! :)
Anyway ... remember that 'mains' LED PIR lights aren't really mains, in that they all have an ELV driver inside the body. So there's a solution. Buy a good quality LED floodlight, take it to bits, remove the 230V driver, put that in a proper IP box on the lawn side, then run any waterproof cable (maybe 2.5mm H07RN, and in the bloody drain if you must) carrying only the constant-current ELV supply.
Sorted?
I have done this myself where there's no convenient way of getting mains safely to a remote part of a garden. It works.

ps. And leave (unsigned? :) ) notes in the IP box and under the LED fitting saying hello to subsequent electricians, and telling them what you've done. You may add that you got the idea from the internet. :)

Last edited:
▲ Update (too late to edit my post). An obviously daft idea if the PIR is integral to the lamp, as the PIR sensor usually has its own internal PSU and needs mains. My idea will only work if there is a remote switched supply, or a separate mains PIR can be installed on the supply side of the drain. You don't say if you can 'see' the car park from there.
Or as LEDs are so cheap to run, forget unreliable PIRs and feed say a 20W LED flood from a dusk-to-dawn sensor. The latter could go in, or next to, the IP box containing the driver.
It's late. Hope that makes sense :)

Bear in mind the volt drop if it's a long run of cable at 12v though.
Yup, that's why I suggested 2.5mm, but the great thing about constant-current LED drivers is that they will crank up the voltage to maintain the correct current, so the effects of voltage drop, within limits, is prevented.

Haven't and am not going to read the whole thread so ap0logies if this duplicates:
1) Nothing wrong in the electrical sense, SWA's totally fine along the length being submerged (wouldn't have any glands though!)
2) In the practical sense though it's non-starter as the cable will ultimately encourage the drain to silt and block, I have a suspicion that a BCO wouldn't allow it for that reason and frankly, why would you want to?! There's always more than one route other than the straight line, you just need to demonstrate why you're the superior sparky who can think outside the box.

why not just whack a pole in the ground and put a solar powered one on it? the council have been fitting them around here in the car parks and park and rides. give out a good amount of light too , the solar panel is not too large either.
Agree..solar is the way forward for this instal.just screw it on the wall.job done..no pole required.Don't even need a test cert.

Reply to SWA in drain permissable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net