Discuss SWA main supply questions. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Couple of questions. I’m at a job just now where the existing tails from the meter needed upgraded, they were 15m away from the fuse board & weren’t of an adequate size. The customer has already run a 3-core 25mm SWA to existing fuse board which will be upgraded to a 17th Edition consumer unit. Could do with a couple of bits of advice, first is regarding the termination of SWA at consumer unit. What’s the easiest & neatest way to do this? It’s a Wylex split load consumer unit he has bought. Looks like it may be a bit tight to fit gland straight to box & the earth won’t fit in the earth bar terminal. I’ve seen over the years different variations with gland attached to adaptable metal boxes but some are not the neatest. Also currently at the meter side there’s an old isolator, one of those with the big handles, what does this need to be replaced with to meet new regulations?

Best way would have been to use 16mm, but seeing as it's already in then you could use reducing pins.
If it's a bit tight to gland to then it is not really suitable. Glanding into a small chamber underneath won't really afford you any more space as the supply conductors have to enter the unit some way.
What is wrong with the isolator regarding current regulations ?

Couple of questions. I’m at a job just now where the existing tails from the meter needed upgraded, they were 15m away from the fuse board & weren’t of an adequate size. The customer has already run a 3-core 25mm SWA to existing fuse board which will be upgraded to a 17th Edition consumer unit. Could do with a couple of bits of advice, first is regarding the termination of SWA at consumer unit. What’s the easiest & neatest way to do this? It’s a Wylex split load consumer unit he has bought. Looks like it may be a bit tight to fit gland straight to box & the earth won’t fit in the earth bar terminal. I’ve seen over the years different variations with gland attached to adaptable metal boxes but some are not the neatest. Also currently at the meter side there’s an old isolator, one of those with the big handles, what does this need to be replaced with to meet new regulations?
The SWA pulled in already, does that mean they have installed aSWAwith an extra conductor, or are they intending to use the armouring as the earth?

My key skill is observation. Observation and accuracy. Err, my two key skills are.... etc. etc.
Bit like mine the Dave, that and memory loss, hope it's not anything serious at my age, still time will tell, I hope.

My key skill is observation. Observation and accuracy. Err, my two key skills are.... etc. etc.
Bit like mine the Dave, that and memory loss, hope it's not anything serious at my age, still time will tell, I hope.

Now I just want to do a double post, so I don't feel left out....

Reply to SWA main supply questions. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net