Discuss SWA Regulation and norms in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

usit

Hello,

Could you help me to find out the section where the steel wire protected cable (SWA) is mandatory for outdoor or buried use unless equivalent protection is provided?

I tried to search inside the BS 7671 and the IEE, but I wasn't luck enough...

Could you help me?

all cable should be suitable for the environment.

Hi usit - welcome to the forum.

Firstly there is no regulation that stiplulates this direct, what you may need to look at is regulations regarding environmental influences, cables outside and buried cables are 2 totally different scenario's and you are within regulation to clip a suitable non armoured cable along an outside wall as long as its not prone to mechanical damage and is suitable for use outdoors (UV tolerence etc).
Buried systems often require protection from been accidently damaged by say digging equipment or other hazards associated with a buried cable, sometimes plastic ducting is used and still swa is run through for added protection and to ensure that a earthed armoured protects anyone inadvertently damaging the cable even though it is run through a duct.

Agree with Tels reply, what makes you think that all exterior wiring has to be SWA, steel ,PVC Conduit is OK in some cases, but as before the cable has to be correctly chosen for each application.

Reply to SWA Regulation and norms in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster. I have an SWA 3 core armoured cable buried that runs to my back garden. This originally serviced an...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Looking for help here as I've come across a strange call-out today. Bare with me here: Got a call from a customer saying they had...
Replies
Views
Hi all, New to the forum. I have been asked to look at this for one of our guys who's had an issue onsite after some electrical works had been...
Replies
Views
Hello sparkly people Im a total beginner around how electricity really works. Ive recently been made redundant from ground works in construction...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a project I have been working on, that has me out of my depth with regard to my knowledge, as I am a very basic electronic hobbies...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock