Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss SWA termination in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Ken77

Ken77 Regular EF Member

Hi all,

This is my first post, so here goes.

I recently terminated SWA in an IP66 Wiska box with the CPC and Steel linked together at the terminal block within the junction box. As the steel is earthed, I can see no fault with this however this has been called into question and I am somewhat of the opinion this is due to a client looking for reason to negotiate on price. Is there any necessicity to use glands and earth nut with SWA. Surely an IP66 junction box with appropriate terminal block contained is acceptable? I can not see any regualation anyone concerning this.

Thanks,

Ken

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    mechanical security of the fixing of the cable is best achieved by using the correct gland, nut and banjo, (or earth nut). same reason that you fit your brake calipers on your car/van with bolts, not string.

3. Plonker 3

Plonker 3 Guest

Have you used a proper gland? Or as I suspect twisted the armourings to make it off directly into the terminal block?

An SWA cable should always be terminated with the correct gland, if it isn't used int his instance then the IP rating of the box will be incorrect also.

• Like Like x 1
  4. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  5. Ken77

Ken77 Regular EF Member

Thanks for help everyone.

6. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    shouldn't take much effort to fit correct glands. if outdoors make sure to fit the exterior type.

7. Plonker 3

Plonker 3 Guest

Wouldn't an external gland be needed to maintain the IP rating of the box regardless of where it is installed?

8. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    only if you want IPX4 or better.

9. Guest112

Guest112 Guest

so have you glanded the cable correctly or done as others have stated just twisted some armourings and connected them in with the cpc please say you havent done this?? and again have you used the correct size exterior type glands etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.