Discuss SWA test results in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi hope someone can advise; ive not done alot of testing or filling out eic's and am a bit stumped on this. I have run the usual dead tests on a 3 core swa cable used on a final circuit all tests are good. However the amour (which needs to carry the full fault current), does it not need to be accounted for its continuity on an eic ? For example if there are 4 sockets on a radial wired in swa it would be possible to forget to link out each pair of banjo's.

So do you calculate the resistance of the armour (although I know this would be up to standard if its smaller than 50mm or something), or do you just tick a box confirming continuity. I cannot find any info on example eic's where this situation is accounted for, so im probably missing something and would like to find out ! Thanks

H

if the armour is used as cpc, then the banjos need to be linked to provide a continuous cpc. even if a core is used as cpc, the armout must be earthed at the supply end at least and must also be continuous. a wander lead and R2 reading would confirm.

if the armour is used as cpc, then the banjos need to be linked to provide a continuous cpc. even if a core is used as cpc, the armout must be earthed at the supply end at least and must also be continuous. a wander lead and R2 reading would confirm.

Telextric, yes I know the amour must be earthed and linked to provide a continous cpc even if a core is being used as cpc; the issue im having is what tests does the armour need and what do i identify it as on the eic ?.

Would I put "socket radial armour" in the circuit description box, and work out the the resistance of the armour and put this result in the R2 column ? Although its not strictly R2 is it if the core is being used as cpc ??

measure it. R2 with a wander lead. you only need to enter on the cert R1+R2 or R2 at the last oultlet. measuring it at intermediate points is not necessary.

Okay I get it, measure R2 with wonder lead at the last socket, this is what i have already done. If you could be a diamond and tell me where I put the result on the EIC!

Do I put it in the same row where all the other test results are for that circuit in the R2 box ?

Or do I put the R2 result in a separate Row titled "socket radial amour" ?

if it's used as cpc, or part cpc with a core,then put the value in the R2 box ( or the R1+R2 box) for that circuit. if it's not a cpc but just earthed, there's nowhere to enter the value. so maybe a comment in the comments section to enter the value as proof that it's continuous.

No, not all SWA cable installs use the armour as a CPC.
You can record R1 + R2, saves having to get a wander lead out or R2, up to you.

If you use the armour as a CPC, then you need to record it's resistance R2 or R1 + R2.
If you are using the armour as a CPC along with one of the cores, then you need to record the combined resistance, again R2 or R1 + R2.
If the armour is not being used as a CPC, there is no need to record it's resistance, though you do need to check that the resistance is such that the protective device will operate.
Where it becomes problematic, is when you are using the armour as a second CPC for high integrity circuits.

What you have is parallel CPCs.
Measure the third core and the armour together, to obtain the R2.
I agree that if you use a separate core as the cpc the armour still becomes a parallel earth or cpc. To record R2 as the separate core resistance maybe the design of the circuit and to be honest doesn't matter, is the same with cpcs within steel conduit. Under fault conditions however that armour will become part of that fault path and thus also becomes the make up of R2.

I do as Tel says :) loop impedance measure R1+R2 from final socket and put it in the column marked Continuity (R1+R2) which is col. 13 on the generic forms in GN3. The row could be called 'Radial - Sockets in Garage' and the Remarks could be 'SWA buried in garden' for example. And I make sure armour is continuous and earthed. Hope that helps.

If you use the armour as a CPC, then you need to record it's resistance R2 or R1 + R2.
If you are using the armour as a CPC along with one of the cores, then you need to record the combined resistance, again R2 or R1 + R2.
If the armour is not being used as a CPC, there is no need to record it's resistance, though you do need to check that the resistance is such that the protective device will operate.
Where it becomes problematic, is when you are using the armour as a second CPC for high integrity circuits.

Regarding the high integrity circuits you mentioned, this is how its been done in a commnercial project I am on at the moment. Can you possibly give a bit of detail as to how it can be problematic spinlondon? Purely for my curiosity is why I ask. :)

Cheers.

If the circuit was singles in steel conduit with a separate cpcs you would not be considering recording the conduit resistance, this is no different.

I agree that if you use a separate core as the cpc the armour still becomes a parallel earth or cpc

and what about if the armour is only earthed at the supply end to comply with the fact that it must be earthed, if not used as cpc? it's not a parallel cpc then.

If the armour is not being used as a CPC, there is no need to record it's resistance, though you do need to check that the resistance is such that the protective device will operate

Cheers Spin; I cant find mention of this situation in any books (x7) or online anywhere, and so was a bit concerning. Im surprised that there is no tick box or anything else to confirm the continuity or resistance of the SWA on the EIC; continuity of swa could easily be missed and the standard range of tests would not identify it.

With High integrity circuits, you need two separate readings, one for each CPC.
Some people just use the highest reading, others try to squidge two readings into one box and others use a second line for the second CPC.
Not come across anyone using the R2 box for the second CPC, but I guess it could happen.

Reply to SWA test results in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock