Discuss SWA to Garden Outbuilding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think you are overthinking this, SWA cable is designed to be installed outside, if the wooden slats between the concrete posts have a suitable wooden rail just clip to that.
If your fence is rotten replace your fence and go on as per the above.

I would probably just lay the cable on the ground next to the fence.
No need to worry about fixing distances then.

Exactly. Why make a drama out of it. I have done it like that loads of times, it's armoured cable, the clue is in the name. The original sparky obviously thought the same.

Why bother laying it next to the fence, just go line of sight from source to load across the lawn. Make a feature of it. :D

Better than just chucking across the flowerbed like you've suggested.
I didn't say chuck it across the flowerbed, I was suggesting to lay it along the bottom of the fence and anchor it on each post so it is sitting on the surface, simple, job done.

I would probably just lay the cable on the ground next to the fence.
No need to worry about fixing distances then.

Exactly. Why make a drama out of it. I have done it like that loads of times, it's armoured cable, the clue is in the name. The original sparky obviously thought the same.

I didn't say chuck it across the flowerbed, I was suggesting to lay it along the bottom of the fence and anchor it on each post so it is sitting on the surface, simple, job done.

Oh yes you did :D

Last edited:
The OP has said there are concrete running boards between the concrete uprights. I would lay the cable on the ground or just above it and clip it to the running boards (no need for wood battens although if worried about drilling into the concrete then fix a wooden batten/board as shown above). The OP hasn't said how high his electrician was suggesting to run the cable, he may well have intended to lay it on the ground and clip it at the posts to keep it against the fence. That would be perfectly acceptable in my view and the cable would be fully visible to anyone about to go wielding a spade or garden fork.

Gents

I need to run 10mm SWA to building at the end of the garden, the electrician suggests clipping it direct to the fence concrete post which are solid enough and says is permissable as digging a trench is not an option. I am concerned about the UV issue, the support element as the posts are 6ft apart.

I have asked him could it be run in galvanised conduit as this would solve the UV and support problem but he says that he has never done this and is a waste of time.

Could I ask you guys for your opininion on this.
Thanks
Hi
How far apart are the posts ??
SWA cables can withstamd the UV
Gents

I need to run 10mm SWA to building at the end of the garden, the electrician suggests clipping it direct to the fence concrete post which are solid enough and says is permissable as digging a trench is not an option. I am concerned about the UV issue, the support element as the posts are 6ft apart.

I have asked him could it be run in galvanised conduit as this would solve the UV and support problem but he says that he has never done this and is a waste of time.

Thanks

Gents

Thanks

Reply to SWA to Garden Outbuilding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock