Discuss swa to outbuilding in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi guys. got a job to quote for for for an outbuilding. in the past been lucky enough to get an swa cable under the ground, but this time theres not much chance of that.
as its for only a couple of sockets my easiest and cheapest route would be to fuse down a spur from the ring inside the conservatory going thorough the wall into a adaptable box with twin and earth,from there to swa under a couple of flags to the fence. now this is where it gets a bit akward. its a concrete fence and its landscaped about 20 foot to the summerhouse.no chance at all of getting underneath, is it acceptable to clip the swa to the fence and keep it on the surface,bearing in mind that there is a load of bushes and trees what will be in front of this cable so not really accessable or visable. whole house protected with 17th edition board and its a tn-s.would just like to hear your thoughts on this...
many thanks daz...

there is absolutely no reason at all why you can't cleat the SWA on the surface of the fence. some might say it's better than being buried, as you can see it.

As telectrix says Cleating the SWA is OK as it is visible and the SWA provides mechanical protection. As an alternative why not clip some PVC conduit to the fence posts and push the SWA down that, quick easy and neat

I had a similar problem recently with needing to put a 70m run of 25mm/3 SWA down to a garden workshop - was reluctant to just lob it on the ground in the border as figured it would be semi-buried by autumn, but the fence/boundary wasn't up to the job of cleating a cable that heavy. Solution was to give the customer a diagram of a little mini fence that they could build in 3x4, about 18" off the ground to cleat to instead. As a bonus, they got a way of keeping their kids football out of the roses!

Depending on the construction of that concrete fence, you may find it a little more troublesome than you think. If it's these precast concrete fence's you may find that it's made up of more steelwork than you think and the concrete make-up has more stone pebbles than it does sand and cement mixture. Great chunks may slit out of this stuff trying to get a fixing into it. Other than that, as others have said .. no problem cleating direct to the fence!!!

thanks malcolm. when i go back to survey the garden again i was going to double check that it was a ring and not spurred before giving them a final price. but a very well brought up point. what a great forum.
many thanks daz...

Reply to swa to outbuilding in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net