Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss SWA vs HI Tuff in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. South Spark

South Spark Regular EF Member

Can someone tell me which regs apply to when to use SWA or when it's acceptable to use Hi Tuff? Common sense suggests that SWA be used whenever there's a risk of mechanical damage but my
    thoughts on risk of mechanical damage changed when a gardener I know cut through a fat TV cable that was in the middle of ivy that had grown up over twenty years.

2. Amp David

Amp David Trusted Advisor

Decide whats required when installing and not what might have changed 20 years down the line.

3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Personally I'd use Hituf if it was fixed to a wall, SWA if on the ground or under the ground.

As the designer it's your decision!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. MarkRibbands

MarkRibbands Regular EF Member

I like Hi-Tuf: it's lovely to work with and easy to gland, but for some reason usually more expensive than SWA.

As Murdoch said, it's great for surface work outside.

But underground I believe it would need 'mechanical protection' to be compliant.