Discuss SWA without RCD for AC and Servers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve_C

Hey folks.

I had someone round who does AC systems and they've suggested running AWS along the outside walls to power a 3.2 KW split AC system and up to 4 business servers + 1000VA UPS (13A). They recommend I have it not on an RCD at the fusebox. This cable has been suggested to also feed new 13A sockets for the servers (+UPS) inside the conservatory.

There is currently an existing 13A 30mA RCD protected double socket I was going to run 3 monitors, a pc, printer etc, so I don't have to worry about that.

But I am not sure on the best way to power the 1000VA UPS, and 2-4 rack servers (each with dual power supplies ranging from 460W to 760W; which presumably has some impact on earth leakage), plus this 3.2 KW AC system. What's the play on minimising the risk of business kit tripping in a domestic household?

Cheers

Hey folks.

I had someone round who does AC systems and they've suggested running AWS along the outside walls to power a 3.2 KW split AC system and up to 4 business servers + 1000VA UPS (13A). They recommend I have it not on an RCD at the fusebox. This cable has been suggested to also feed new 13A sockets for the servers (+UPS) inside the conservatory.

There is currently an existing 13A 30mA RCD protected double socket I was going to run 3 monitors, a pc, printer etc, so I don't have to worry about that.

But I am not sure on the best way to power the 1000VA UPS, and 2-4 rack servers (each with dual power supplies ranging from 460W to 760W; which presumably has some impact on earth leakage), plus this 3.2 KW AC system. What's the play on minimising the risk of business kit tripping in a domestic household?

Cheers
How do you intend supplying the A/C unit? remember this unit will be stopping starting due to the temperature control, which will have an impact on the type of OCPD used, there will be some inrush currents to contend with, not really ideal in a Domestic environment.

Are the servers "critical" and will the UPS's be maintained and tested on a regular basis as in my time I have seen some major failures.

How do you intend supplying the A/C unit?

Some sort of RCD connection coming off the armoured cable I think he said.

I wonder if having two local RCD's is the way to go. 1 for the AC, 1 for the server setup. And then I'll be getting 2 x 30 mA and the AC can't trip the servers.

Are the servers "critical" and will the UPS's be maintained and tested on a regular basis as in my time I have seen some major failures.

Yeh, I'll kick the cable out now and again ;) . It's part of a high availability setup, so everything is replicated geographically elsewhere so, meh, as critical as a domestic setup can be from other single points of failure.

Yeh, I'll kick the cable out now and again ;) . It's part of a high availability setup, so everything is replicated geographically elsewhere so, meh, as critical as a domestic setup can be from other single points of failure.
Lol unless the Domain Controller gets overwritten ala BA style.

This might be a crazy idea, but instead of getting an AC installer to advise on electrical installation design why don't you get a couple of qualified electricians to quote for the job?
Installation design is after all the responsibility of the electrician carrying out the work.

This might be a crazy idea, but instead of getting an AC installer to advise on electrical installation design why don't you get a couple of qualified electricians to quote for the job?
Installation design is after all the responsibility of the electrician carrying out the work.
In my experience, Dave is correct, most A/C engineers will be "as long as I have lectric I couldn't care less where it comes from"

Reply to SWA without RCD for AC and Servers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net