Discuss swapping 12v lamps to l.e.d 12v lamps and lack of load issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
a friend ordered some 12v led lamps to replace his conventional 12v halogen lamps
now obviously the new lamps are not causing enough load for the transformers to kick in
can i simply change the transformers to a led driver thats rated at a low wattage?

ive only felt with this 15 ish years ago , but thankfully this was pre led lamps and just meant installing higher wattage lamps (underpelmet pixie type)

but im not sure if a driver is dc voltage and a conventional 60va transformer is ac??

any comments will aid me into sounding like i know what im doing lol

thanks

Andy there are 2 types of led driver unfortunately fixed current or voltage. One is usually red the other blue or green can’t remember which is which with aurora. If you get the wrong one the lamps won’t work properly. It might be a case of getting one of each and try it then purchase more of the ones that work. Are they on dimmers as that is yet another problem as you have to get the correct ones and they throw up a whole heap of issues as they cause the led lamps to flicker and strobe or prematurely switch off . Some of the new led dimmers require setting up almost programming. Just hope he doesn’t turn the breaker off as they can lose their setting and you start all over again on the Merry roundabout

You need to find out what the wattage rating of the lights are first,
LED drivers are designed to suit individual lamps,
And any other lamp of same wattage will work,
But I have not seen a universal driver to suit all.
12v supplies are not ideal for LED as they are not really
a pure dc, they are a pulsating DC, this doesn't matter
on an incandesant lamp, but LED's don't seem to like them
and short life is usually the result.

Reply to swapping 12v lamps to l.e.d 12v lamps and lack of load issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net