Discuss Swapping thermostats in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there!
I’m trying to swap a wired Lifestyle P111 heating programmer with a Netatmo thermostat.
The Lifestyle has a blue, red and yellow wire and the Netatmo requires only two wires.
I think I need to isolate the blue and connect the red and yellow to the Netatmo, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Photos attached.
Thank you.

Swapping thermostats 8C173A64-3AA2-4DA9-AC29-6C85874E1AB4 - EletriciansForums.net

Swapping thermostats 9BA94153-4D24-4C74-9DA3-CCF74C354EBB - EletriciansForums.net

Hi Lee, thanks for your reply.
I did not intend to connect the boiler relay to the boiler - I’d intended to use the plug in relay and switch out the heating controller for the Netatmo Thermostat. Main reason being I didn’t want to be left with a hole in the kitchen tiles.

Hi Lee, thanks for your reply.
I did not intend to connect the boiler relay to the boiler - I’d intended to use the plug in relay and switch out the heating controller for the Netatmo Thermostat. Main reason being I didn’t want to be left with a hole in the kitchen tiles.
You want to install the thermostat in the kitchen where it will get hot from cooking etc? This will not give you a true reflection of the houses temperature.

You want to install the thermostat in the kitchen where it will get hot from cooking etc? This will nor give you a true reflection of the houses temperature.
Good point Lee. So I’d be better attaching the relay directly to the boiler and using the Netatmo in wireless mode.
Would I be right in thinking that by doing this I’d also be disconnecting the old Lifestyle programmer and so would not need to insulate the wires in the kitchen?

Good point Lee. So I’d be better attaching the relay directly to the boiler and using the Netatmo in wireless mode.
Would I be right in thinking that by doing this I’d also be disconnecting the old Lifestyle programmer and so would not need to insulate the wires in the kitchen?
Yeah it would be better to use the relay so you can position the thermostat in an appropriate position. You could put a blank plate on to cover the hole in the tiles. The cable that goes to the programmer is probably connected to the boiler and could be disconnected.

I would position the thermostat in the most commonly used room, out of direct sunlight and out of direct drafts from doors opening etc. Make sure the room you install the thermostat in doesn't have a thermostatic rad valve. If it does you could change the TRV for a lock shield valve or simply turn it right up and remove the head or if it won't be fiddled with then just turn it right up. This way the thermostat and the thermostatic rad valve will not conflict with each other.

I would position the thermostat in the most commonly used room, out of direct sunlight and out of direct drafts from doors opening etc. Make sure the room you install the thermostat in doesn't have a thermostatic rad valve. If it does you could change the TRV for a lock shield valve or simply turn it right up and remove the head or if it won't be fiddled with then just turn it right up. This way the thermostat and the thermostatic rad valve will not conflict with each other.
You’ve been incredibly helpful Lee, much appreciated. Now I just need to identify the thermostat terminals in the Worcester 28cdi and I’m good to go!

Thanks Buzz, I’d just found this and was having a look. The diagram shows clearly where the LS / LR terminals are - I attached the black and grey relay wires to that, and then blue and brown wires to the power supply terminals. I’m guessing the wires for the prgorammer will be in the power supply terminals at the moment so i’ll take those out.

Hello,

Looking for some advice, I recently had to call upon a well know heating and plumbing insurance company to replace a faulty digital thermostat. They replaced it whilst I was on holiday with an analogue one. Which I was not pleased about for obvious reasons. I needed to establish a price to get this changed back to a digital one as they refused to come back to fit one. When I looked behind the fascia to see what wiring was there to support that I found 3 wires. 2 in the therm and one exposed and unlabelled. At this point I am really disappointed and thinking its not safe and whether or not they have done there due diligence or whether a digital and programmable (which I had before) can be fitted now. Does anyone have an opinion or knowledge on this? Thanks very much. Ross

Swapping thermostats 82641FD2-D05C-4233-AB5A-5D09A3DAC84F - EletriciansForums.net

Swapping thermostats 85D0008F-D4BD-4AEA-B3EF-F6C78231EAD4 - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks for a very quick response!

Agreed, I have no intention of messing with this lot as I don’t have the know how. The idea of checking behind was to see what kind of thermostat I would need (research only). The thing for me was I wanted to get a bit of a clue from someone who did know, is this potentially dangerous I.e. urgent that I need to get said insurer back out sharpish. Thanks.

The bare conductor is the CPC and should be sleeved green and yellow and terminated in the far left terminal. The thermostat should ideally have a neutral which you don't have. The reason you should have a neutral connection with a mechanical thermostat such as the one that has been installed is to reduce the hysteresis of the bi-metal strip. With a line and neutral connection, the inbuilt resistor will heat the bi-metal strip in the thermostat so you don't get a big swing in temperature. Without this you will likely get a swing in temperature of around 3 degree above and below the desired set point before the heating turns off/on. With a digital thermostat, which you say you had before, you wouldn't usually suffer much hysterises as they are normally accurate to 1/4 to 1/2 a degree.

Last edited:

Reply to Swapping thermostats in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock