Discuss swimming at work. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

johnboy6083

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
last night, i had a phonecall from an engineer at work. "John can you and your mate go and take a look at a pump thats failed?"

off we go. The pumps are sat in an underground plant room, that has no roof yet. first thing i do (after isolating, and locking off) is disconnect the couplings from the motor to the pump. I spin the motor by hand, and its sweet. try the same with the pump, and its grinding, and the shaft has some movement.
There is an identical pump next to this one that is not yet commisioned, so we check the same things on that, to see if that one makes any noise, and if it has any movement on the shaft.
i realise thatthe opump is shot, probably bearings, so i put a cable tie on the motor shaft, and start it up on manual, low Hz, to see if its rotating the right way, and that its pulling same current on each phase. Motor is ok.
by this time the mech foreman has turned up. We decide that we will swap the pump with the one next to it, as the other base isnt bolted down, and so we cant switch the other pump on.
I disconnect both motors, and remove the termional boxes, to save me from reglanding the cables. The delivery and suction lines to both pumps are islolated. We unbolt the complete pump1, including motor, and its lifted out. We start to do pump 2, and all of a sudden theres a bang.
I turn around and see water shooting out of a flange. i shout at my mate to get out, and i quickly throw my tools,upto him.
I manage to get out with only wet legs.
Within a minute, the 3m by 6m by 3m high plant room is filled, and the water gushes over the top, and out down the road. It submerges pump 2, and the water flows through the unsealed ducts to the MCC, which is in a steel kiosk about 10m away. Fortunately, the MCC is sat higher than the level of the top of the walls on the plant room, and so it only filles the cable trench underneath the panel! lucky.
We spend the rest of the morning, trying to stop water gushing into somem poor old blokes house, and manage by screwing planks together at the top of his drive, and diverting the water down the road.
Back tommorow to get some water pumping back to the reservior!

heres 2 photos.

IMG_1105.jpgIMG_1104.jpg

it certainly was. im sure there are a lot of eople who are going to blaming others, as apparently the same union in the pipe has failed before!
lucky really that i wasnt bent under a pipe, trying to undo a bolt or something, and that there were thrust brackets to stop the pipe from wacking us.

Hehe, at least I’m not the only one. A pump started leaking on Christmas eve and gradually filled the pump room, by Boxing day the first motor had gone bang. The plant operator didn’t bother calling anyone out he just started No.2 pump. He didn’t go and have a look either. He finally called me I wasn’t pleased as it was my birthday, but I went. Took one look a 7’ deep lake of slurry and wondered where the other 5 pumps were that were down there were. I just laughed, locked off the MCC panel and went home.

Wish I could of locked it off and gone home lol. But when a towns water supply relies on your pumps operating, then it's not an option. Still, they must have enough backup in the reservoir, as I'm not back til tomorrow!

Keep clear until it’s sorted, that’s what I did.

Why the hell they were running the pumps nobody knew, they’d got 20,000 tons in the surge bins to be going on with. Why course problems at Christmas, production can be thick!

Last edited by a moderator:
update time! no-one knows why the coupler failed, but the other pump that we installed on the redundancy line, has not gone capput too. Turns out that the pumps needed the shaft to be lifted slightly, before coupling them to the motor. So in other words, the prop shaft on the pump, is being supported by the rotor shaft on the motor. Anybody seen this before? nobody on our frim had, we rang the manufacturers, and they mentioned it.
we fashioned a new shear pin from the shaft of a drill bit, recoupled the motor, and tryed to run it agian, to see if any damage had been caused.
It ran for about 5 mins, but the flow meter was giving readings all over the place, then the pump started rattling, and before i could hit the e-stop, the shear pin went again.it turns out that because the pump is a multi stage pump, it has loadsof impellors slid onto a keyed shaft. when one fo these impellors is dfamaged, for example by hiting the bottom bearing, then the pump strugglesd to maintain output, hence the dodgy flowmeter readings.
weve got to rip out that pump tomorrow, and start agion. Costly mistake!

no idea mate. ive never seen this beofre either, and the mechanical supervisors hadn't either, one with 40yrs exp, and the other with over 20yrs exp. Ive coupled loads of motors to pumps, and i agree with you, if theres too much play in the shaft, you start to think about bearing problems.

Are we talking about vertical pumps or horizontal pumps?

I'm thinking Grundfos CV type of pump, and drawing up the pump shaft to load the mech seal...

Any links to your pumps?

Think your right mate. It is a vertical pump made by grundfos, but I don't know exact model. It is Rated to PN25, which I've discovered by reading the grundfos pump manual means that it can deliver upto 250m head. Or 25 bar.

Things are beginning to make sense now, the bottom bearing will be parallel while the top a taper. The pump pressure head keeps things tight once they’re up and running. If they are what I’m thinking they sound a bit “clattery” when starting. They then calm down as the head tightens the taper bearing.

The motors will have double taper bearings. God help you if you ever have to recondition one of them. I’ve done a few but they did my head in every time. Hours spent shimming bearings to get the “pre-loading” right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out that the pumps needed the shaft to be lifted slightly, before coupling them to the motor. So in other words, the prop shaft on the pump, is being supported by the rotor shaft on the motor. Anybody seen this before? nobody on our frim had, we rang the manufacturers, and they mentioned it.
QUOTE]

Most verticle multistage booster pumps need the wet end shaft lifting before coupling to the motor. (correct procedure is - lift fully & mark, drop fully & mark, then clamp the shaft in the middle .... ish). As you said if they're run hard down on the bottom bearing you get pretty much all the problems you've described after a few hours of usage.

If the pump was bought complete though this should come pre-set ... they often don't so we always check.

What brand are you using? looks like Lowara from the terminal box...

Is this a public or private booster station? Looks right up my street, apart from the flooding issue :)

No-one mentioned these were ''Vertical'' pumps!!!

That puts a completely different picture on the senerio....
Generalbosh has pretty much summed up the coupling procedure, probably better than i could, in short and precise terms too. lol!! I'd have been going round the houses explaining it!! lol!!!

Public water company, and I'm sure they're grundfos. I've installed lowara in the past! Well I've learnt something here fellas, and I won't be making the same mistake again. Glad I had mech foremen with me when I did it! lol

Public water company, and I'm sure they're grundfos. I've installed lowara in the past! Well I've learnt something here fellas, and I won't be making the same mistake again. Glad I had mech foremen with me when I did it! lol

Making mistakes is all part of the learning curve unfortunately. Learning from those mistakes is part of gaining experience!! We've all made mistakes, big and small ones, but the bigger the mistake, the less chance you'll ever make that same mistake twice!! ...lol!!

The first time I installed a verticle multistage I spent ages setting shaft heights, checking direction of rotation, priming (no flooded suction) etc etc etc & when i was ready to properly commission the pumpset everything fired up ok but no pressure or flow would register.

Many minutes of scratching stubble later i dropped the flange connections off to find I had left the plastic transit caps in position that site flush into the suction/dischrage ports ... Steep learning curve.

Reply to swimming at work. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net