Discuss Swimming pool help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I’m not an electrician- just looking for some advice please - thanks. I’m looking at putting a small swimming pool in an industrial unit to open a swim school. The existing RCD board is currently in zone 1 and has lots of surface mounted cabling serving the existing lights etc, some also in zone 1. The landlord doesn’t want the RCD to be moved. Is it possible to create an enclosure which would put the RCD and associated cabling into a safe zone or even out of the pool room altogether? Thanks for your help.

Thanks, I don’t have plans yet but here’s a photo. The pool would end halfway between the yellow lines and stand 1m high. I’m also concerned about the cabling that you can see going over the ceiling as it would cross the end of the pool, would a suspended ceiling put this in a safe zone? How difficult would it be to move the RCD if it’s not feasible to cover it safely? Very grateful for your help Swimming pool help please 499648D1-3E58-419D-B07E-DEAD53075644 - EletriciansForums.net

I've seen some requests for advice but this one takes the biscuit. OP your only possible way of seeing if your swimming pool is viable, is to get in a contractor who has a good working knowledge of the regulations regarding swimming pools, it also seems you'll need to make some structural changes, and probably need planning consent or guidance. I've witnessed a local person running a swim school for young kids on the cheap (not suggesting you are) and it was quite frightening the short cuts taken.

I know of a hotel who did something similar to this whereby they had an existing dist board which they constructed a room around to contain it. We had a call that people were receiving small shocks from it when they reset the rcbos which were constantly tripping. The outcome was that over a period of time chemicals in the air had migrated to coat parts of the board internally and externally, you could actually measure voltage across the insulation of the conductors internally.

Thanks Midwest - as I said, just looking for general advice on the RCD. I have already built a pool and currently run a swimming school elsewhere so know what’s involved. Nothing will be done on the cheap, no shortcuts and properly qualified people will be employed to do a proper job. I was just looking for some indication of whether it’s feasible at all to enclose an RCD to safely and legally put it in a different zone as I can’t find any information on this. Thanks

Last edited:
I know of a hotel who did something similar to this whereby they had an existing dist board which they constructed a room around to contain it. We had a call that people were receiving small shocks from it when they reset the rcbos which were constantly tripping. The outcome was that over a period of time chemicals in the air had migrated to coat parts of the board internally and externally, you could actually measure voltage across the insulation of the conductors internally.
Thanks, that’s useful to know

How was the problem overcome? IP board?

Thanks, I don’t have plans yet but here’s a photo. The pool would end halfway between the yellow lines and stand 1m high. I’m also concerned about the cabling that you can see going over the ceiling as it would cross the end of the pool, would a suspended ceiling put this in a safe zone? How difficult would it be to move the RCD if it’s not feasible to cover it safely? Very grateful for your help View attachment 44571

I think you need to get a local spark or 2 to visit site with you to review this ................ then talk to the landlord .................

and get your cheque book ready!

Thanks Midwest - as I said, just looking for general advice on the RCD. I have already built a pool and currently run a swimming school elsewhere so know what’s involved. Nothing will be done on the cheap, no shortcuts and properly qualified people will be employed to do a proper job. I was just looking for some indication of whether it’s feasible at all to enclose an RCD to safely and legally put it in a different zone as I can’t find any information on this. Thanks

Ok, not meaning to demean what you're asking. I think swimming pool installations should only be carried out by contractors with a lot of experience & knowledge in this field. I suppose asking opinions on this forum on this subject, could put your mind at rest, but only a complete site visit & investigation, can fully answer your proposals. IMO.

Maybe reading this wrong, but I'm of the impression this is no more than a floor standing kids play pool erected within a frame, i.e. is not a permanent installation requiring structural work, therefore to the landlord it's a standard tenancy. The OP is however right to ensure the electrics are done properly.

Its a swim school apparently; i.e. people paying to have their small charges taught to swim, in a safe & controlled environment, managed by a business.

Reply to Swimming pool help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock