Discuss Switch fed or feed to the light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just for fun.
Just wanted to find out a general opinion what is your preffered method of wiring a lighting circuit, looping in and out at the lights or switch fed?
Just curious as whilst at college we were only ever shown feed to the lights but in my job we only ever switch feed so wondered what peoples preferences were?

Depends on the luminaires and the installation. Loop in & out at a ceiling rose is cheaper, uses less cable. Loop in & out at switch, is easier if installing down lights for example, and also provides a neutral at the switch for 'smart controls'.

Loop In/Out at switch also reduces the chances of getting a badly done ceiling rose chocblock arrangement since the lights just have the one cable. Makes it easier for people to change their own light fittings.

At switch. There are too many noddy light fittings these days that can't accept loop in and out.

Also makes it easier to fault find when the RCD starts tripping

Both have their uses and both are used
I suppose the loop at switches is more suitable for connection at the lights

It is also sometimes handy to use a 3 core for the switch cable to the light for extending on in some cases

new build from the switch less chance of numskull customers f**king up a light fitting .
old houses looped at the light customer provide me with new light fittings.
old jb if I can not get access to other part of the property .

on a ladder above my head screwing around working up to 5 cables into a piece of crap connection box / PIR arrangement or leaning against the wall infront of a nice deep backbox at handheight? well if i've got a choice..

also agree (where practical) it's nice to leave neutrals and permanent lives at as many points as possible (Des' 3-core suggestion).

New builds I feed the switches, rewires I generally 3 plate as 9 out of ten times I pull down the old conduits for the switch drops...I know for some reason a few very old school sparks frown upon feeding switches but for the life of me I can't see why. I once had a disagreement on here with a very well respected engineer who used to frequent the forum. He was adamant feeding the switches was a cowboy way of doing things...I said you try getting 3 or four cables in to some of these IKEA fittings or a wall light :eek:. Both methods have their uses.

Last edited:
If a full rewire with good access or new installation then at the switch works well and i have found it quicker and less frustrating than trying to move little screws with your head arced backwards staring upwards... just make sure you got a good backbox for the switch method. If it is an existing installation then depending on the task at hand its often easier to use the existing method than change things. If i have a really awkward ceiling rose with little space i have in the past moved the wires into a junction box in the ceiling and done away with the current ceiling rose then dropped 1mm or 1.5mm down to the new light as some of these on trend lights have next to no cable space in them.
Did this just last week. plenty of slack on existing wires so up in loft i pulled them back up, out come the wagos and mf wago box. then dropped a single 1.5mm down to the fancy artistic light the customer had bought. no way was more than one cable fitting into the back of it.

I think some peoples opposition to the N at a switch harks back to the days of round pattern switches on wooden blocks when clearly there was nowhere to terminate a spare wire. The belief that neutrals at switches are poor practice has simply been handed down over generations without any thought for changes in practice and accessories.
The fact is that any of the arguments against neutrals at switches can also be applied to permanent lives at lights. Which is why common sense has prevailed in the end!

Reply to Switch fed or feed to the light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net