• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Switch for entire lighting circuit? in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Alanm1969

my eldest son has autism and learning disabilities. One of his behaviours is messing around with lights - either switching them on and off rapidly for a few seconds or going around switching on all the lights in the middle of the day.

Yes, we could go into the kitchen cupboard and use the mcb to switch off but a) they are not designed for regular switching on and off and b) it's a pain to do it as we have to lock the cupboard doors!

What we would like is something that I presume can be wired in close to the mcu that has wireless connectivity so we can switch off more conveniently. Is this possible?

If not wireless, then we need to have a switch somewhere that is more convenient to use but hidden from my son (perhaps with a closure over it?)

Many thanks,

We have two 6a circuits with all light fittings led except for a fluorescent tube in loft.

Alan..

You could fit a contactor in the cu and switch it via an active relay or plug from one of the smart home systems such as Nest, Hive or Lightwave, etc.

Why use a contractor? A 20A DP switch would be sufficient.
not on my watch. 2 circuits in 1 switch is bad practice, unless you meant 2 switches, 1 for each circuit.

not on my watch. 2 circuits in 1 switch is bad practice, unless you meant 2 switches, 1 for each circuit.

Sorry, I missed the final paragraph of the OP which stated two circuits. I wouldn't put two circuits across a DP switch either!

There could be advantages to having two separate switches so not all of the lights have to be isolated at once. It could be done with 2 grid switches on one plate.

Maybe leave him with some restricted form of control of a main room light ,( where others may be invading his space ).
Hiting a button shuts main lights off instantly for 20 sec maybe , then will lock out for 30 min . As it is a form of communication with others in the room .
(A magic trick he could perform ) .. Stressful if removed !

Reply to Switch for entire lighting circuit? in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock