Discuss Switch height problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i am currently doing a referb on an old building i have a little problem and wanted some advice.

As i always put my switches at 1200mm to the top of the switch the builder now has Nogins at this hight also!
meaning now when it comes to putting my backbox on,the timber is now in the way...

He claims building regs state that nogins must also be at 1200mm how can this be when that is the hight of a switch???

What should i do here???

Re: Switch hight problem

Hi guys,

i am currently doing a referb on an old building i have a little problem and wanted some advice.

As i always put my switches at 1200mm to the top of the switch the builder now has Nogins at this hight also!
meaning now when it comes to putting my backbox on,the timber is now in the way...

He claims building regs state that nogins must also be at 1200mm how can this be when that is the hight of a switch???

What should i do here???

Notch the noggin.

i did think that but thought 1 so much more work and 2 surely this cant be right?

Switch hight problem

Put them in a little bit higher or lower, or notch out noggin, does not take long and will keep all at same hight throughout the house

What options have you got? Either move the switch up or down, move the noggin up or down, notch the noggin or use a plaster depth box if the plaster board and plaster is thick enough and not installing dimmers/flat plate etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 239

I guess ill just notch the noggin out i'm installing dimmers so will have to be 25mm back box

as above. discuss with customer what height he's like the switches ( within reason). i hate the stupid 1200. i want to switch lights on with my hand, not my ****.

as above. discuss with customer what height he's like the switches ( within reason). i hate the stupid 1200. i want to switch lights on with my hand, not my ****.
we always do out sensors at 1500 if it was my choice that would be around the height for switches.

if you can sit on the floor and switch the lights there too low

and they can be reached by small brats as well.

and there was me, thinking it was for dwarfs and leprechauns.

Hi guys,

What should i do here???

Notch the noggin it aint rocket science. GASP

Hi guys,

What should i do here???

Another gasp from me too, seriously why not just alter the height of the switch thats not difficult to work out is it?

Alter well yea you would think wouldn't you?? BUT REGULATIONS STATE CERTAIN HEIGHTS.. can just do as you want otherwise no need for the regs.

Reply to Switch height problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net