Discuss switch heights!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
started a new job today full refurb+extension

builder wants the switches 920 ffl to middle of box
-I did say blimey thats low!- he said architect wants them all inline with door handles :s

know this aint too much of an issue as isn't a new build- but any of you guys been asked to do it that low before?

If it's specified and they are paying then that's where they go. Tell them you think it is a ridiculous decision to put finished design over function.
Worst case is they have to pay you again to move them up.

If it's specified and they are paying then that's where they go. Tell them you think it is a ridiculous decision to put finished design over function.
Worst case is they have to pay you again to move them up.
Does the height correspond with the positions of switches and sockets specified in BS 7671?

Does the height correspond with the positions of switches and sockets specified in BS 7671?

No specific heights are mentioned in BS7671. Building regs have all accessories between 450mm and 1200mm from ffl, so 920mm centres would be fine regs wise.
Totally impractical though, that's worktop height !!

No specific heights are mentioned in BS7671. Building regs have all accessories between 450mm and 1200mm from ffl, so 920mm centres would be fine regs wise.
Totally impractical though, that's worktop height !!
No problem then?

350 to bottom- so nothing odd there

Ask for written confirmation of that too as building regs are 450mm lowest. I assume a full refurb with extension is under building control ?
It may be that building regs heights apply only in the extended footprint but best to double check either way I reckon.

Ask for written confirmation of that too as building regs are 450mm lowest. I assume a full refurb with extension is under building control ?
It may be that building regs heights apply only in the extended footprint but best to double check either way I reckon.
those heights are for new build only no?

Yes. I have had LABC class any extension of the footprint of a building as new build before now though. I have also had some that don't care either way.
not had that prob as yet- always go by extension/refurb can match existing if not bang on skirting etc or recommend new build heights......and then new builds stick with 450 and 1200

sent a email asking for written confirmation that the client wants 920
Way to go, I would go that way mate every time someone wants something out of the ordinary, get it in writing every time, nothing like shoving that in their mushes when they say they don't like it, why did you do it like that, is that your signature? end of.

Last edited:
If I was paying £100k for an extension I would not want sockets/switches at a different height to the house

Never come accross an "extension" to a house that has to have switches/sockets to comply with part m, not to say i do like to keep them this height but matching up is fine too. But an extention or a rewire would not be claseed as new build so no need to stick to 450-(bottom of accessory) to 1200 top of accessory.

The building regs apply to "building work"
This is defined in the building regs as the erection of a new building, the extension of a building, or the alteration of a building, amongst other things.
It is up to the LABC how the regs are applied.
The building regs do not just apply to dwellings, nor to just whole new buildings.

I have been involved in many projects where building control were involved that were not full new builds. Sometimes part M was ignored, sometimes it was followed.

Reply to switch heights!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock