Discuss Switch Placing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Stuuk1

Hi Chaps,

Quick and simple question I'm sure for most of you:

Is there a minimum distance from a door frame for a light switch?

Was measuring up today and have marked them up 150mm from the doors.. Purely with safe zones in mind (I know this isn't a safe zone)

Thanks

Considering you can get architrave switches which actually go on a door frame I'm going to say no, but remember you need to allow space for the door frame, especially before it's fitted.

make sure they go on the lock side of the door.

make sure they go on the lock side of the door.

Haha ...... yes !!

My builder mate built an extension on his house & I was roped in to wire it. At this point, the doors weren't fitted & I asked him which side he was going to hang the door so I could fit the light switch on the correct side.

After he told me, I fitted it as instructed, then when he came to fit the door he hung it on the opposite side so after all my efforts the switch was still on the wrong side !!! :32::banghead:

lesson learnt. never trust a builder. as for distance from door frame...... how far from the door can a wood butcher reach with his nail gun? about 4 ft. is safe.

Haha great thanks chaps! 150mm looks ok anyway so think ill stick with that setup throughout the house.

My parents house has a light switch on the wrong side of the door and guests are forever asking where the switch is or being polite and peeing in the dark... I didn't put that light switch in by the way..

Haha ...... yes !!

My builder mate built an extension on his house & I was roped in to wire it. At this point, the doors weren't fitted & I asked him which side he was going to hang the door so I could fit the light switch on the correct side.

After he told me, I fitted it as instructed, then when he came to fit the door he hung it on the opposite side so after all my efforts the switch was still on the wrong side !!! :32::banghead:
I can imagine how that conversation went:
"I thought the door was going to open on this side?"
"Yeah I changed my mind."
"What? Did you not think to tell me? I've gone and put the switch on that side now."
"You can move it can't you?"

My parents house has a light switch on the wrong side of the door and guests are forever asking where the switch is or being polite and peeing in the dark... I didn't put that light switch in by the way..
Is the switch for the bathroom?

Once again the assumption that "the switch is the wrong side of the door" has been validated, and by sparks as well
There is always that assumption, always has been, and always will be

You can study plans and confirm the correct position and have everyones agreement,but if there is a problem,it is the switch has been put behind the door

Almost without exception,if any person was to alter a situation where the switch position conflicted with the door position,the switch is moved to suit the door,because the switch is in the wrong place

I can imagine how that conversation went:
"I thought the door was going to open on this side?"
"Yeah I changed my mind."
"What? Did you not think to tell me? I've gone and put the switch on that side now."
"You can move it can't you?"

Aye ... that's exactly how it went !!

So I had to move the switch to the other side and I wasn't too particular about how tidy I cut the chase either !!! :devil2:

Is the switch for the bathroom?

Downstairs toilet/shower room. The door opens outwards with the handle on the right as you look at the door closed. The switch is on the left

Downstairs toilet/shower room. The door opens outwards with the handle on the right as you look at the door closed. The switch is on the left
I see. You hadn't mentioned there was a toilet in the room - thought it might have been a bedroom LOL.
Had you considered changing the light switch for a PIR?

They wouldn't be guests for long if they were pooing in the bedrooms...!

Reply to Switch Placing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock