Discuss Switch Wiring Assistance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Scoobysnax1

Hi, could someone help me out with wiring up a switch please. We have a very dark cupboard below the stairs, and I want to install a light that will come on when the cupboard door is opened. I was planning on plugging a cable into a nearby wall socket, and running that into the cupboard to provide the power, but need assistance with wiring this cable to the switch, and also from the switch to the bulb holder.

I have already purchased what I thought were the correct parts for this job (listed below), but as the switch only has 2 terminals (no earth terminal), this has left me unsure about how to proceed, hence this post for assistance.

The switch is a 'Surface Mount 2A 240v push to break cupboard switch' (Part: Lyvia 1546), and the lamp holder is an 'Angled batten lamp holder' (Part: MK 1172). The cable I have is 'T & E', and the plug that I have for attaching to this cable is a standard 3-pin 13A one.

Any and all assistance very much welcomed.

Attachments

• Cupboard Wiring.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 104
Cable to switch
Strip cable fit brown to switch (common)
cable from light to switch
Strip cable brown to other side of switch (l1)
join blues together (neutral)
3amp fuse in plugtop

Ooops...wait, think i've just figured it out. Does the 'Earth' from the plug goes straight to the 'Earth' terminal on the lamp holder?

Last edited by a moderator:
i wouldn't do it like that. would draw if i could but ain't got the facility. take L,N &E t a 3 plate lamp holder. L to loop ( middle terminal ) and N to N. then take a T/E to the switch. brown in with the feed at the lamp, blue in the sw L. then at the switch, brown to one side and blue to the other. sleeve the sw.L blue sw with a bit of brown sleeve (or tape). connect earths in earth terminal of light .continue the E to the switch and terminare in a connector block.

Hi, could someone help me out with wiring up a switch please. We have a very dark cupboard below the stairs, and I want to install a light that will come on when the cupboard door is opened. I was planning on plugging a cable into a nearby wall socket, and running that into the cupboard to provide the power, but need assistance with wiring this cable to the switch, and also from the switch to the bulb holder.

I have already purchased what I thought were the correct parts for this job (listed below), but as the switch only has 2 terminals (no earth terminal), this has left me unsure about how to proceed, hence this post for assistance.

The switch is a 'Surface Mount 2A 240v push to break cupboard switch' (Part: Lyvia 1546), and the lamp holder is an 'Angled batten lamp holder' (Part: MK 1172). The cable I have is 'T & E', and the plug that I have for attaching to this cable is a standard 3-pin 13A one.

Any and all assistance very much welcomed.

Umm, in a word=NO, as tel mentioned and I wouldn't plug into a socket, very DIY, Biff what do you think?

it's not like he's rewiring his house. better to give advice on a little job like this than have him electrocuted. if he's not capable, then he'll probably call in a sparks anyway.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me on this. It is now all up and running. As far as the above post from clematis432 is concerned, you do realise that this is a help form? I was under the impression that this meant that people such as myself, who are not a professional sparky, could come on here to ask those in the know for their much appreciated advice as opposed to being branded as stupid, dangerous or incompetent? No...oh well...you do now. Anyway, i'm off to play with my new 'safe' light switch.

scooby. this forum is a sort of virtual pub/site cabin/farmyard. you will get some good advice, some bad, some banter and a few insults. trat is as a conversation. follow the good, ignore the bad, and when you have grown as thick a skin as i have, throw a few insults back.

i had a similar situation. dark cupboard, no light. could have wired up something similar, but being bone idle, opted for a battery light stuck on wall. press the ---, light comes on. sorted.

Reply to Switch Wiring Assistance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net