Discuss Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adam_r

Hi all, i have a question. I have 2 small strip lights (not sure on the actual size maybe T4 or T5?) and I want to wire them to a plug socket so I can move them and I also want them both to be wired off the same switch.

I have done a quick drawing of how I plan to wire them but I am not an electrician so no idea if its correct or even safe! Also want to know what kind of switch, I just want to use a toggle or rocker switch but not sure on amp specs etc so any advice is greatly received.

photo hosting

It's not usually a good idea to move stuff around that's designed to be fixed to a surface. What's the purpose of these lights?

a light box. dont get me wrong, its not going to be moved around lots just from time to time. and the lights will be fixed into the inside of the light box. they are approx 30cm in length

An ordinary light switch on a single surface box, screwed to the side of the lightbox might do, although a properly designed, CE marked, lightbox would be better.

Make sure that the flexible supply cable is properly anchored in the box and put a 3A or lower rated fuse in the plug.

Your proposed wiring layout is OK. You don't need to switch the neutral although it doesn't matter if you do. If switching only one wire, you should make sure that it is in the live supply wire.

Any good quality switch rated at 230V or more and 3A or more will be OK.

I am concerned that you're proposing to construct a mains powered appliance with little or no experience of this type of work. If you get it wrong, you risk an electric shock or overheating, leading to fire. What materials is this lightbox constructed from?

thanks for your help so far HandySparks. I have got a switch from Maplin

250VAC 10A IP65 Double Pole Push Switch Red | Maplin

its rated 10A. I am not 100% sure on how to wire it. it has terminals:

I gather it is double pole so I am assuming I can wire the 2 lights to this, then a single power cable to the plug?

I fully appreciate your concern as an experienced electrician, however I will not even consider plugging the unit in until I am 100% positive it is safely wired. The plug will have a 5A fuse. All electrical terminals will be soldered and heat shrunk (I have done a hell of a lot of this) and secured to the side of the unit with no risk of them being anywhere near the lights. The unit will be constructed of 10mm acrylic.

Reply to Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net