Discuss SWITCHED DOUBLE SOCKET HELP?! - MUCH APPRECIATED in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am currently getting a kitchen overhaul and want to install some unit/kick-board lights. I want to be able to control the unit lights with the light-switch which controls the down-lights in the kitchen ceiling. I have swapped the switch out for a double switch.

The lights have came for the units but they require a plug socket. Currently i have created a double plug socket with a plastic external backbox which i have wired slightly different. I have attached a diagram of how this is currently wired up. The source of electricity (yellow spark in the diagram) is basically just an added spur from an existing socket. I have then decided to wire the live wire directly to the light-switch and a 'switched live' coming from the light switch going back to the 'L' part of the plug socket. Hopefully the diagram will better explain this.

My questions are, is this safe to do so, or is there an easier way to accomplish what i am trying to do? As i know you should never create a plug socket spur from a lighting circuit as they are rated differently. So am i creating any potential risk by adding the 2 circuits in a single back-box for the light-switch even though they don't actually come into contact with eachother as they will be wired to different individual switches on the same faceplate. Also, what is the situation with the earth cables for this setup? The backbox is a plastic dry-wall one so there is no earthing to be done for the back box. So would i combine the 2 earth cables into the same earth-lug on the metal faceplate of the lightswitch?

Any advice is much appreciated.

P.S i do not want to hear how i should be calling a qualified electrician in to do the job, i am simply just asking for advice and trying to educate myself in this sector. So those statements are irrelevant.

Thanks in advance!
SWITCHED DOUBLE SOCKET HELP?! - MUCH APPRECIATED diasgram.PNG - EletriciansForums.net

Hi Guys,

I am currently getting a kitchen overhaul and want to install some unit/kick-board lights. I want to be able to control the unit lights with the light-switch which controls the down-lights in the kitchen ceiling. I have swapped the switch out for a double switch.

The lights have came for the units but they require a plug socket. Currently i have created a double plug socket with a plastic external backbox which i have wired slightly different. I have attached a diagram of how this is currently wired up. The source of electricity (yellow spark in the diagram) is basically just an added spur from an existing socket. I have then decided to wire the live wire directly to the light-switch and a 'switched live' coming from the light switch going back to the 'L' part of the plug socket. Hopefully the diagram will better explain this.

My questions are, is this safe to do so, or is there an easier way to accomplish what i am trying to do? As i know you should never create a plug socket spur from a lighting circuit as they are rated differently. So am i creating any potential risk by adding the 2 circuits in a single back-box for the light-switch even though they don't actually come into contact with eachother as they will be wired to different individual switches on the same faceplate. Also, what is the situation with the earth cables for this setup? The backbox is a plastic dry-wall one so there is no earthing to be done for the back box. So would i combine the 2 earth cables into the same earth-lug on the metal faceplate of the lightswitch?

Any advice is much appreciated.

P.S i do not want to hear how i should be calling a qualified electrician in to do the job, i am simply just asking for advice and trying to educate myself in this sector. So those statements are irrelevant.

Thanks in advance!
View attachment 39972
Callum, I wont tell you to get an Electrician in, that idea is to put it bluntly, is a stupid idea, unsafe, dangerous.
I think what the instructions mean is, you can plug these lights into a 13 Amp socket, and not as you intended, to use the socket as a glorified junction box

Past two replies are very contradicting. Can you explain your reasoning why its unsafe and dangerous?
I could be wrong, but I get the impression #2 is a sarcastic response to your query, if I am wrong then OP of #2 please accept my apologies.
To answer your question as to why I thinks it's a dangerous idea, you intend to supply the socket with a N and E and take the L to the switch, which undoubtedly already have a live present, so, hypothetically you could have a fault, or some work don on the lighting circuit, and the Electrician you would have engage to do the work on the lighting circuit, would of, I hope isolated the lighting circuit, only it wouldn't be dead as you would have, added another L to the switch position, yes he will have checked only to be faced with a DIY debacle.
So if you are intent on installing these lights, I would get a Kitchen fitter in to do the job cheaper than the Electrician you should have engaged to do the job in the first place.

Callum, I wont tell you to get an Electrician in, that idea is to put it bluntly, is a stupid idea, unsafe, dangerous.
I think what the instructions mean is, you can plug these lights into a 13 Amp socket, and not as you intended, to use the socket as a glorified junction box

I do not understand your response, the socket is wired correctly from a 30 Amp ring main, only difference is the live is going to a switch so that the live can be switched on and off. The socket would work fine if the live was wired directly to the 'L' port rather than the switch. SO what is the issue?

Those statements, in this situation, are the most relevant you will hear.

Tbh callum, its a better job than some who i know would do. I’ve some drill a hole through worktop and plug the lights into a socket and use that as there switching

I could be wrong, but I get the impression #2 is a sarcastic response to your query, if I am wrong then OP of #2 please accept my apologies.
To answer your question as to why I thinks it's a dangerous idea, you intend to supply the socket with a N and E and take the L to the switch, which undoubtedly already have a live present, so, hypothetically you could have a fault, or some work don on the lighting circuit, and the Electrician you would have engage to do the work on the lighting circuit, would of, I hope isolated the lighting circuit, only it wouldn't be dead as you would have, added another L to the switch position, yes he will have checked only to be faced with a DIY debacle.
So if you are intent on installing these lights, I would get a Kitchen fitter in to do the job cheaper than the Electrician you should have engaged to do the job in the first place.

I understand your logic completely, however, my consumer unit is an old-style one which does not allow seperate circuits to be switched off individually. I have attached a photo below, Therefore the entire electrics in the home will need to be switched off before any work is undertaken. Preventing your scenario.

SWITCHED DOUBLE SOCKET HELP?! - MUCH APPRECIATED Inspection The consumer unit - EletriciansForums.net

Have you fused this down to 3 or 5A? Also what type of cable have you used, and how have you installed it?

In theory this works, what kind of cable have you used?
Don't encourage him 123, it could be detrimental to his well being, seriously.
I do not understand your response, the socket is wired correctly from a 30 Amp ring main, only difference is the live is going to a switch so that the live can be switched on and off. The socket would work fine if the live was wired directly to the 'L' port rather than the switch. SO what is the issue?
I have given you my reasons, if you won't or can't accept them, I am not going to take any further part of this thread, it's not my policy to walk DIYers through a comprehensive install, which could cause injury to you or your family.

Last edited:

Reply to SWITCHED DOUBLE SOCKET HELP?! - MUCH APPRECIATED in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock