Discuss Switches in Flexible Power Cords in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

malcolm302

It has recently been pointed out to me that EN 60335-1 section 24.2 that switches cannot be used in flexible cords. Why then can I buy a table lamp from a major UK store with a switch in the cord? Are there exceptions to the rule?

Quote:

Appliances shall not be fitted with

– switches or automatic controls in flexible cords;
– devices that cause the
protective device in the fixed wiring to operate in the event of a fault in the appliance;

thermal cut-outs that can be reset by a soldering operation.

NOTE The use of solder having a melting point at least 230 °C is allowed.

Compliance is checked by inspection.

i would question whether they class a lamp as an appliance, think they refer to appliances like washers fridges etc., but that is only a thought

yes you can, the switch is not in the cord

Reply to Switches in Flexible Power Cords in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

D
Looking for a bit of advice. Not a qualified electritian, but have a fairly competent DIY ability. I'm fitting a new kitchen in our house, and...
Replies
Views
S
Here is a list i have just copied off my website Teague Electrical - Home M.C.B. (Miniature Circuit Breaker) Electronic version of a fuse...
Replies
Views
Plonker 3
P
Engineer54 has reported a post. Reason: Post: A good guide For 'exported PME' and outbuildings! Forum: Electrical Forum | General Electrical...
Replies
Views
P
E
I think I've Posted this before, but I've just updated it. Some of the sparks where I work still get a little confused of what the different areas...
Replies
Views
A
Replies
Views
amberleaf
A

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock