Discuss Switchgear indication illumination colours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

That_Hurt

Is there a standard for this? I'm trying to find information about any codes or standards regarding illuminated indicators on power switching equipment. For example:

A device is designed to automatically switch a load from Supply 1 (230V, 30A, single phase) to an alternative supply. The two supplies are isolated from each other at all times. The device has illuminated lights (with written legends) to indicate things like the presence of either supply, and the supply the load is connected to.

I have seen systems with different colours for power supply and load, and some with the same colour for everything. Is there any standard or industry agreement for this?

I am not sure if there is an industry standard (there are probably several conflicting ones!!) but this list was posted by Amberleaf in his useful information thread in 2009, but I do not know the provenance.

Colours of indicator lights and their meanings

Colour : RED : Emergency Explanation : Warning of potential danger or a situation which requires immediate action
Typical application : • Failure of pressure in the lubricating system , • Temperature outside specified (safe) limits , • Essential equipment stopped by action of a protective device ,

Colour : Yellow : Meaning Abnormal condition , Explanation Impending critical condition , • Temperature (or pressure) different from normal level , • Overload, which is permissible for a limited time , • Reset ,

Colour : Green : Meaning : Normal Explanation : Indication of safe operating conditions or authorization to proceed, clear way Typical application : • Cooling liquid circulating • Automatic tank control switched on • Machine ready to be started

Colour : Blue : Meaning : Enforced action : Explanation : Operator action essential Typical application : • Remove obstacle • Switch over to Advance ,

Colour : White : Meaning : No specific meaning , Explanation : Every meaning: may be used whenever doubt exists about the applicability of the colours RED, YELLOW or GREEN; or as confirmation.

You best bet is to look at the BS60204-1 which is the machinery controls standards, although you haven't a machine you still have a control unit and using the colour coding for indication lamps will be you best bet.

Just to add... amberleaf's post, which Richard Burns quoted above, agrees with BS60204-1 that darkwood suggested might be worth a look (section 10.3.2, Table 4).

Reply to Switchgear indication illumination colours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net