Discuss Switching for Biomass in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Roddie82

Hi I am currently working on a Biomass installation on a farm which will be servicing two houses and a fan blower. I need to be able to run the main pump in the boiler room when demand is called for from any of these 3 systems. 1 house is over 150m away with the other 90m in the opposite direction. What I am trying to consider is how this can be done without back feeding on the lives, I am new to heating installations of this size and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rodders82

There are several ways of doing this. First and foremost it's best to draw out the overall control circuits and check that the individual controls operate the appropriate plant associated with that building without affecting the other buildings controls.... The use of relays is just one method of achieving this....

There are several ways of doing this. First and foremost it's best to draw out the overall control circuits and check that the individual controls operate the appropriate plant associated with that building without affecting the other buildings controls.... The use of relays is just one method of achieving this....

The controls of the other buildings should not be affected, when the buildings call for heat this should operate the pump.

As everyone else has said..relays. I've done a few biomass installs now, biggest one to date is one boiler to supply 6 houses/plots. We install 1 relay for each plot next to the control panel in the plant room.

So I can supply all programmers/motorised valves from the property CU's and run the switch wires back through relays at the plant room?

Basically yes. If one house is calling for heat it signals the boiler to start up. You may have to be careful if the boiler requires a run on time.

Basically yes. If one house is calling for heat it signals the boiler to start up. You may have to be careful if the boiler requires a run on time.

Depends on the setup .

Large systems will have a buffer tank which the houses will draw from . The boiler will only fire to keep this buffer tank topped up .

Most likely like jack described a district system. Usual setup is biomass boiler feeding buffer. From buffer to district pump.One district pump I should imagine with only feeding 2 houses. Pending on manufacture of boiler, all these can be wired back to boiler and controlled via biomass boiler controls. Treat the heat exchangers in the houses as conventional boilers and usually wired as S plans supplyed from local supply.

Most likely like jack described a district system. Usual setup is biomass boiler feeding buffer. From buffer to district pump.One district pump I should imagine with only feeding 2 houses. Pending on manufacture of boiler, all these can be wired back to boiler and controlled via biomass boiler controls. Treat the heat exchangers in the houses as conventional boilers and usually wired as S plans supplyed from local supply.
I would expect this system also boiler feeding buffer tank in feeding to house heat exchangers 24/7 regardless of property demand. Each property then drawing as required from heat exchangers on demand from house heating controls.

The pump is being run independently so that there is minimal disruption to the controls at each plot as it is existing houses with heating systems already installed. Forget about the boiler and it's set up completely. All I want to do is have 4 independent circuits that are able to switch a two port valve at each plot which then brings on a pump when called upon from any plots.

Just an idea, could you fit a precision flow meter with an output signal or flow switch so when the pumps inside each property kicks in when calling for heat the flow switch/meter detects the flow and the signal activates the main pump in the boiler room? Obviously there would be some calculations involved for sufficient flow to trigger the flow switch/meter etc.

Last edited:

Reply to Switching for Biomass in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock