Discuss Switching ideas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest125

Peps,

So, I went to look at a job today at London Waterloo Station. They have a peak hour only link corridor that runs from the underground to the overground concourse.

Within this area there are about 250 twin 49w T5 fittings. Half of which are emergency. Now these fittings are wired with only a permanent supply. So the lights are on 24/7. There is no natural light at all.

NR want us to alter the switching arrangements so that the lights can be switched off when the corridor is closed but still maintaining the emergency feed.

Now I am thinking new single core cable (SWA or PVC/PVC) to supply all the lights with a switched feed. Then install ceiling 360 deg PIRs at suitable intervals to turn the lights on when required (via contactors etc...).

Can anyone think of a better way of achieving the same result?

Last edited by a moderator:
Simpler to stick the feed on a timer using contactors to power the lights)

Extra wire and as above just a timer... no frequent switching of T5's reducing lamp life to worry about and/or failing PIR's ...plus significantly less wiring than PIR control...so no brainer !

Unsure of containment as of yet due to metal ceiling tiles in the way. Suspect tray and SWA/FP200.

The issue I see with not putting sensors in is that if the corridor is opened in an emergency outside of these times then they will be in darkness. There are multiple entrances to the corridor also so key switches are out of the question.

They em are currently only switched off by DP key switches in the elec cupboard.

Try not to trickle info .... the more you tell us the better response we can give... you never mentioned about it maybe opened unexpectedly .... Is this corridor locked of with barrier gates... you could run a set of limits to the gates and if opened the lights will over-ride.

Someone must be in charge to open up out of hours they could just advance the timer setting?

You could put timer in parallel with PIR's, then you could maintain it during set hours (and prolong lamp life). It would then go to PIR control outside set hours which would cover when opened unexpectedly.

Ukesrail
why not offer an alternative view fit LED lights, with emergency on some & microwave sensor & that can dim down to 10% when not in use then no need for more cables & energy saving at same time.
Just a thought

just leave it for a while, a train is bound to demolish the place sooner or later. then you can start from scratch.

Try not to trickle info .... the more you tell us the better response we can give... you never mentioned about it maybe opened unexpectedly .... Is this corridor locked of with barrier gates... you could run a set of limits to the gates and if opened the lights will over-ride.

Someone must be in charge to open up out of hours they could just advance the timer setting?

Sorry. Again this is fine but if there was any other access (cleaners/security) then no lights.

Ukesrail
why not offer an alternative view fit LED lights, with emergency on some & microwave sensor & that can dim down to 10% when not in use then no need for more cables & energy saving at same time.
Just a thought

I like it but the cost would be about £150k. No chance.

Reply to Switching ideas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net