Currently reading:
SY cable to replace MICC

Discuss SY cable to replace MICC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

maybe a bit of fp would have been a better choice of cable...or dare i say it a bit of micc!
on another thread i bemoaned the use of yy in shopfit situations. sy without the braid
as i stated these are control cables for use in automation etc not fixed wiring cables in my book
i bet you the sy braid wasnt even earthed

Not on a listed building that has been wired throughout in MICC!! Pretty sure the insurance company that is covering this building, wouldn't be too pleased with any substitute cable type being used.

why do you need to complete a certificate that covers another contractors work ?

Because I am carrying out major alterations, consumer unit changes, earthing etc etc. and as I'm sure you will be aware, a completion cert contains a section on the condition of the existing installation.....
Ive been asked to carry out improvements to ensure the installation meets bs7671. I cannot complete that whilst leaving unsuitable cable installed...

I've been thinking of this subject now for a week or more. The reason I posted it on this site looking for advice and back-up was to get other peoples opinions on how to act on the matter.
I can't quite believe that I've been asked as to what difference it makes to me what another contractor has done? Or suggested that I'm causing trouble.
The fact of the matter is that as I'm carrying out the works and look after the property, I am responsible for its safety and condition. My clients (actually a group of trustees) aren't going to have the first idea whether what another contractor has done, is right or not, without me guiding them. If I do not question the work or requirements, I am as bad as the person who installed it.
I'm sure with my signature on the completion certificate and name on the clients cheque book stub, no insurance company or legal eagle in the county would have difficulty in pinning responsibility upon me if there was a problem...

You created another thread previous to this one i believe i gave you the answers you seek as to why its not a suitable cable ... im a little confused why you started another almost identical thread ... scanning through it the answers given seem to be the same..:thinking:

Reply to SY cable to replace MICC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock