Discuss SY Control Cable LSZH to BS EN 50525-3-11 and VDE 0250 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
But is it still being termed "non standard" I have used it in the past, but I cant find much in the way of a defining answer, can we use it for subs or not I have to go up a floor on a refurb with about 10 90 degree turns to get to the sub, it would be ideal, its on tray the whole way and one tnuc of a wrestling match with swa
P

Why can’t you use double insulated if it’s a refurb you must be able run it on the tray installed.
SY cable is not for sub mains, not recognised in the regs.
How would you confirm the earthing conductor to the new DB meets the requirements.
My thoughts on the question, with the information provided.

Why not a heavy duty flexible cable like H07RNF? The only differences really are the lack of screening (which presumably isn't required) and full compliance with bs7671.

Check the on site guide then..... this is from an older version but it’s probably just as correct today well maybe not on the page number
View attachment 46018
Just to be pedantic, the onsite guide is a guide that only discourages the use of SY.

It is not a statute law forbidding the use of SY.

Check the on site guide then..... this is from an older version but it’s probably just as correct today well maybe not on the page number
View attachment 46018

The on site guide is not the regulation, it is a guide to the regulations.

I stand by my point that the regulations do not ban specific materials, they specify the standards to which the materials must comply.

I'm not suggesting that SY is ever compliant, just that it is wrong to say that it is specifically prohibited by the regulations.

The on site guide is not the regulation, it is a guide to the regulations.

I stand by my point that the regulations do not ban specific materials, they specify the standards to which the materials must comply.

I'm not suggesting that SY is ever compliant, just that it is wrong to say that it is specifically prohibited by the regulations.
I agree with you Dave I was mistaken and thought it was in the BYB or BBB when it was actually the little one. Sod using it though if the OSG says that which is published by the very organisation which publishes bs7671 id err on the side of caution.....

There is nothing wrong with using non BS cable but you have to justify its use and provide a full risk assessment and detail it's suitability for it's use.. it's not worth the extra paper and research if other compliant solutions exist, why do you need a screened cable out of interest?

There is nothing wrong with using non BS cable but you have to justify its use and provide a full risk assessment and detail it's suitability for it's use.. it's not worth the extra paper and research if other compliant solutions exist, why do you need a screened cable out of interest?

From the OP I get the impression that it is not the screening which he seeks but the easy availability and ease of installation (AKA sheer laziness)

Reply to SY Control Cable LSZH to BS EN 50525-3-11 and VDE 0250 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net