Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss T&E in mini trunking in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. brav

brav CCTV / Alarms

Iv just been to look at a job in a cafe, the customer needs a cooker circuit and a radial adding the the installation, the 3 phase D-board is in the same room as where the two extra circuits will be.

All the circuits tht are already in this room, radial for boiler and radial sockets feeding fridges/freezers are pvc/pvc Twin&E in 25x16mm minitrunking.

The customer wants the two circuits i have to add in mini trunking, but im i allowed to use twin and earth in mini trunking and what Reference Method would tht apply to?

thks guys

2. 1shortcircuit

1shortcircuit Guest

Why would you not be allowed?

Providing you adjust your cable calcs accordingly then you will be fine.

Reference Methods can be found in the On-Site guide;) :thumbsup

3. Farmelectrics

Farmelectrics Farmelectrics Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Farm electrics
    Yes nothing wrong with mini trunking not everyone's cup of tea but sounds the right choice for you

4. Paul.M

Paul.M Electrician's Arms

Mini trunking has been omitted from the 17th, just use conduit method for calcs.

5. netblindpaul

netblindpaul Forum Mentor

Why put T&E in MT?
    Just use singles easier to install.

6. Adam W

Adam W Regular EF Member

That's debatable. T&E is cheaper, and you only get left with 1 part roll to use up, not 3.

7. netblindpaul

That depends on what you use, my T&E sits on the shelf for much longer than my singles!

8. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    it will if you do mostly industrial , but if 90% of your workm is domestic, then it's the singles that will become home for the spiders.

9. Top Cat

Top Cat Electrician's Arms

Well i didn't know that, learn something new every day. Must spend more of my waking hours studying the BGB!

10. JUD

JUD Electrician's Arms

Still there in my BGB (Table 4A2 from page 317) although it's defined as "cable trunking".

11. netblindpaul

Tel,
    Over 90% of my domestic work is in MT, however, I concede that it is a small percentage of my total work.
    But I feel that for what I do it is more cost effective to use singles, no sleeving, no stripping of sheath, easier to run in, lighter to handle the drums, more flexible, I HATE solid conductors with a passion! ;)

12. brav

brav CCTV / Alarms

Which number were u looking at on page 317 mate? Number 8/9 Multicore cable in a cable trunking on wooden or masonary wall?

I was lead to believe Multicore Cable non-armoured they are talking about there, is the type used for extension leads etc, not Flat pvc/pvc twin and earth?

Also tht has a Reference Number 'B', table 4D5 doesnt have Ref Number 'B' as a choice? thks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  13. JUD

JUD Electrician's Arms

Table 4D2A (page 334). Multicore 70°C thermoplastic insulated and sheathed cables.

Reference Method B (enclosed in conduit on a wall or in trunking etc.​)

14. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix

so do i. would much rather work with conduit, trunking etc. than with T/E. unfortunately. in the present economic climate, you have to grab what work there is, and in my situation, most of that is domestic. YUK.

15. Paul.M

Paul.M Electrician's Arms

Agree with you Jud but in another page it says that mini trunking is still under review as a method? Clear as mud yet again.

Me and Tel had a debate about this a couple of months ago I think.