Discuss Tail sizes from PV sub-board in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

CBR600

-
Reaction score
Evening all, just a quick question from a non electrician before you shout! Our systems are all installed using a sub DBB (rather than into the existing board). Normally we would fit using 25mm tails however a contract we are currently on say that 10mm tails can be used............any views?

We need a lot of information before we can advise.
What is the nature of the installation? Commercial/domestic
What is the design current here?
What and where is the overload and fault protection relevant to these tails?
What is the installation method for the tails?

We need a lot of information before we can advise.
What is the nature of the installation? Commercial/domestic
What is the design current here?
What and where is the overload and fault protection relevant to these tails?
What is the installation method for the tails?

These are domestic single phase installs with maximum 16amps generation. They are connected via a Henley Block to the main house tails and there is normally a 100amp supply head fuse.

These are domestic single phase installs with maximum 16amps generation. They are connected via a Henley Block to the main house tails and there is normally a 100amp supply head fuse.

So what overload protection is there for the tails of you were to install tails less than 25mm.

There are ways of installing this so that tails suitably sized for the current could be installed instead of the oversized 25mm tails.

So what overload protection is there for the tails of you were to install tails less than 25mm.

There are ways of installing this so that tails suitably sized for the current could be installed instead of the oversized 25mm tails.

Hum ...........tin hat on .......... not sure I agree with you ........ sounds like the installation is head, henley block, then off to 2+ CU's ............ a mini CU with a 32A MCB, say for a shower, won't pull over 65A so whats the problem?

bunker time!

As I said I am not an electrician so bear with me. I am assuming you mean that if using the 10mm tails for the PV connection they should be fused down at the point of connection rather than using an HB.

Why are you asking what is your involvement.

Hum ...........tin hat on .......... not sure I agree with you ........ sounds like the installation is head, henley block, then off to 2+ CU's ............ a mini CU with a 32A MCB, say for a shower, won't pull over 65A so whats the problem?

bunker time!
Yes, this is the argument that is being used (well similar). I am sitting between an electrician saying it shouldn't be done and a contract engineer that is says there is no issue.

If there are spare ways why are you not connecting direct to the dist board.

Yes, this is the argument that is being used (well similar). I am sitting between an electrician saying it shouldn't be done and a contract engineer that is says there is no issue.

If they know what they are talking about then they will be able to reference specific regulations to support their point (well one of them will at least)

Who is responsible for the electrical design and certifying the electrical installation for compliance with BS7671 and part P?
Whoever it is they are effectively the person who has final say on this matter.

Ha - tell your contract engineer to apply Ohm's Law to Ze = 0.35 and Uo.Cmin = 218.5V. Then look up the 100A fuse disconnection time and plug that into the adiabatic equation with k = 115.
Spoiler Alert - 10mm tails seem too small (in this situation) to melt the fuse without themselves being heat affected.

bunker time!
Overload protection would not be the issue however if the 10mm tails are adequately sized for fault protection then it’s acceptable as you stated

As I said I am not an electrician so bear with me. I am assuming you mean that if using the 10mm tails for the PV connection they should be fused down at the point of connection rather than using an HB.

That’s not what I mean. Overload protection can be installed after the reduction in conductor size in these situations if certain criteria are met.
If feeding a switchfuse or other 1way CU then it can be made to comply easily. If you are leaving spare ways which could be used to feed something else and increase the load then it may be less easy to comply.

Ha - tell your contract engineer to apply Ohm's Law to Ze = 0.35 and Uo.Cmin = 218.5V. Then look up the 100A fuse disconnection time and plug that into the adiabatic equation with k = 115.
Spoiler Alert - 10mm tails seem too small (in this situation) to melt the fuse without themselves being heat affected.

See regulations 433.2.2 and 434.2.1, if installed correctly there can be 3metres of reduced size tails between the meter and the CU without upstream fault protection.

Reply to Tail sizes from PV sub-board in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock