Discuss Taking feed from switch? netural help/advise in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

clarkey85

hello firstly mention new on here and have tried to look for diagrams etc but cant see to find.

i am looking for diagrams for circuits wired up from taking a feed(live) from 2 gang switch from the com from one to the next in which to be another taken to say another light.

understand you'd be borrowing the perm live from it but cant get my head around rest like where would you take netural from etc advice and diagrams especially gratefull,

i know the loop in out preferred just been in my head and would like just to understand it.:lightbulb:

Seems its a bit late asking for information.most of those who could answer have gone home drunk :26:

The only ones left here are idiots like myself and I am too stupid to understand any written "English North east"

Seems its a bit late asking for information.most of those who could answer have gone home drunk :26:

The only ones left here are idiots like myself and I am too stupid to understand any written "English North east"

Wot ye sayin' there Taffy??

Ye wantin' yer lugs clashin lyke?? Aahl send Wor Trev doon t' sort ye oot!!

How's yer new sheep th' day ... has the marriage been consummated yet?? ;)

There you go clarkey
A fellow native has come to your rescue
Taking feed from switch? netural help/advise {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I only understood the "sort ye oot" part,but I'm sure you can understand the solutions he posted

understand you'd be borrowing the perm live from it but cant get my head around rest like where would you take netural from etc

Tiz a bit late and my heads not quite straight but as I understand it, if its from the same circuit no problem with taking the "live" feed as you suggest, albeit a bit unconventional to modern practise. The neutral has to be from the same circuit as the original "live" feed though --- no "borrowed neutrals" from another circuit!

As for the actual wiring, it sounds like you would need single cores to do what you propose else "blanking" of spare conductors if you used say T&E.

Anyways time for bed, I may be thinking more clearly by the morning ......

There you go clarkey
A fellow native has come to your rescue
Taking feed from switch? netural help/advise {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I only understood the "sort ye oot" part,but I'm sure you can understand the solutions he posted

He's not a "fellow native" ye daft Taffy ... he's a Smoggie. but they're ok .. better than Mackems anyway.

Chris Rea is a Smoggie and he's a canny lad.

Yeah understand neutral needs to be from same circuit I.e for rcd split load etc
just not sure where you would wire it from and in switch ?
So say i had a two way swith with one light using first switch and linked perm live from com to com
where would I need to wire the neutral ? And where and would there not be a switch wire I'm probs over thinking it but only way I know is the loop on loop out from ceiling rose
anyway best get some shut eye cheers for reply tho !

hello firstly mention new on here and have tried to look for diagrams etc but cant see to find.

i am looking for diagrams for circuits wired up from taking a feed(live) from 2 gang switch from the com from one to the next in which to be another taken to say another light.

understand you'd be borrowing the perm live from it but cant get my head around rest like where would you take netural from etc advice and diagrams especially gratefull,

i know the loop in out preferred just been in my head and would like just to understand it.:lightbulb:
If you have a loop in loop out wiring arrangement in existence and you want to supply another light from the switch, it is not possible because there is no neutral available.
If you have a location from which you can get a neutral then use that same location for the permanent line so that you can supply the next light.

If you have a switch fed wiring arrangement in place then you can use the permanent line and neutral from that switch for the next light.

Yeah makes Sense like just we don't cover this in college so would be good if any diagrams available to get my head round it better heads battered lol

clarkey85,

You aren't borrowing the live. You are simply using loop in / loop out method at the switch position rather than the ceiling rose.

Imagine T&E feed taken from CU to first ceiling rose, then on to second room, etc, etc.
You would also run a T&E as a switch line from ceiling rose to switch position.
So three pairs of cables at ceiling rose, giving you live loop in/out, neutrals, switched live & CPCs.

Instead, you could use the switch position as your 'three plate':-

T&E feed (loop in) to switch position.
T&E feed (loop out) to next room switch position.
T&E switch line from switch position to light.

2 lives connected at switch common.
Switch line brown connected to L1.
Neutrals terminated in connector block, wago, etc within back box.
CPCs terminated at back box/accessory earth terminals.

Now if you had a 2 gang switch controlling separate lights in the same area:-

Follow the same wiring method as above, but 'jump' the live with a short length of brown from one switch common to the other. (Or place one live conductor to each common and a link between the two).
You will also need a T&E switch line to the light being controlled by the second switch. Switch line brown to L1. Blue terminated with existing neutrals. CPC terminated to existing CPCs.

Does that make any sense and is it what you were looking for?!!

This is a diagram I did earlier of switch wiring for both two way switching and one way switching.
If you look at the diagrams on the right for one way switching the top one shows loop in wiring on a three plate system.
If you look at the wiring at the switch you will see that there is only line, switched line and earth, there is no neutral, so in order to supply another light you would need to take the connections from the three plate not the switch.

The lower diagram on the right shows switch fed wiring, in this case at the switch you have line, switched line, neutral and earth and so you can connect into the permanent line, neutral and earth to take a supply off to another location.
Taking feed from switch? netural help/advise Switching lightin - EletriciansForums.net

Cheers arsey dee and Richard burns both very good info and will look at them more detail over weekend but look exactly what I was after thanks

Reply to Taking feed from switch? netural help/advise in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock