Discuss Taking money for certification - customer dont wanna pay! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Balarizaaf

Hi, I have done some renovation in customer's kitchen which was changing place of few sockets. After that I certified my job. It was all included in price details before I started anything and she said ok, the price is fine, do it.

So I finished everything, asked for money and she was like: "Hey, I spoke with some other electrician and he said your not allowed to take money for doing certificate - I will not pay you."

I would have never started that job if the price was set any lower than that. Can I argue with her?

In before, I got NVQ lvl3 and all certificates...

Are you a scheme member and certifying your own work or are you paying a fee to building control?

Hi, I have done some renovation in customer's kitchen which was changing place of few sockets. After that I certified my job. It was all included in price details before I started anything and she said ok, the price is fine, do it.

So I finished everything, asked for money and she was like: "Hey, I spoke with some other electrician and he said your not allowed to take money for doing certificate - I will not pay you."

I would have never started that job if the price was set any lower than that. Can I argue with her?

In before, I got NVQ lvl3 and all certificates...

What utter <removed>.

How much did you put as the charge? looks like you may not get that bit!

Last edited by a moderator:
when i quote for a job I spell out everything I'm going to install, at the end there is a line for testing and certing. After that there is a one line entry "This work will be carried out for the sum of £xxxxxxxx.
I reckon you have made the silly mistake of putting your price in item by item. How much did you put in for certing? It looks like you may have to swallow that bit. As Murdoch says though, there is no rule anywhere that says we cannot charge for anything. If you chose to put a line in there for time taken on you taking a dump there's nothing stopping you doing so.

Have you added extra to the original price to cert it, if you have then I can see her point, however if the price is the same then tip her upside down. plus cert prices should never come into it as you should be testing everything anyway, as I am sure you do

Afraid your not a scheme member or afraid you're not paying building control or afraid not to both?
That's a difficult question for the OP to answer. If the answer is what I think it might be I'm going to invoke the Dragon's Den get out clause.

What utter bxllxcks.

How much did you put as the charge? looks like you may not get that bit!
£150 as a part of quotation, but I was putting cost of whole labour in different areas. Suma sumarum I spent there 5 days instead of 3planned days so this job was undervaluated by me anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Afraid your not a scheme member or afraid you're not paying building control or afraid not to both?
Afraid neither one of above mentioned.

She said its illegal to charge for that.

Okay I was only mildly confused at the start of the thread but now I'm completely and utterly confused. Does the work you've done legally require certifying?

Okay I was only mildly confused at the start of the thread but now I'm completely and utterly confused. Does the work you've done legally require certifying?
Of course it does, we're supposed to cert almost everything.
Reason for edit....It's in a kitchen but it's only replacing socket faces apparently.
Does it need to be certed? Imho yes.
Would you charge the client for doing so? Of Course, everything takes time.
Would you itemise the charge? Hell no.

£150 as a part of quotation, but I was putting cost of whole labour in different areas. Suma sumarum I spent there 5 days instead of 3planned days so this job was undervaluated by me anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Afraid neither one of above mentioned.

She said its illegal to charge for that.

£150.00 for the cert??

I got all the qualifications and am competent electrician to do all the measurements

150 for time spent on it, i just moved the price from other areas to cert section.

Baffled!
But one thing is for sure, if someone wouldn't pay for certifying, they wouldn't get the certificate.

£150 seems steep, are you trying to make up losses ?

Of course it does, we're supposed to cert almost everything.
Reason for edit....It's in a kitchen but it's only replacing socket faces apparently.
Does it need to be certed? Imho yes.
Ah thanks Trev, I'm getting confused between certifying and notifying. I'll keep my mouth shut on this one because I don't know enough about the UK protocols.

Reply to Taking money for certification - customer dont wanna pay! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net