Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Tax rebate on tools and testing equipment in the Business Related area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. ifindoubtdont

ifindoubtdont Trusted Advisor

I've just got into the self employed/self assessment loop. I don't know which way is up after reading so much bumph. HMRC site just takes you round in circles. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I shall be using Cash basis tax format. So does anyone know :- what I can claim for, how much I can claim and how far back I can claim it. I'm thinking of testers, clamp meters, power tools etc and a laptop and anything else you can think of. Thankyou all in advance.

2. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

IMO I would hand it all into an accountant and let them deal with it. It will cost you a couple of hundred quid and no headache. They know exactly what can and can't be claimed for example office space in your house, depreciation on vehicles etc. Any accountant should be able to get you back more money than their cost. Normally you don't even need to pay the accountant upfront either, they normally deduct their fee when your tax return money comes through.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  3. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

:iagree:

4. happydundee

happydundee Regular EF Member

Anything you buy for your business, or you can show that is work related can be used to offset your tax liability.

As others have said get a Good Accountant. Ask other tradesmen you know to recommend a good accountant.

Keep reciepts for everything, if you work from home you can claim a percentage of your house costs against your tax liability.

If you are just starting out, you should be able to avoid any tax for a year or so.

5. ifindoubtdont

ifindoubtdont Trusted Advisor

Thanks for the input everyone, I have taken the advice and contacted a local accountant to sort it for me, it's not going to cost as much as I expected. These are his words not mine "With any luck you might make a loss this year"

• Like Like x 1
  6. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    I am really lucky then:rolleyes4:!

• Like Like x 2