Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Technical Discussion - PV*SOL Expert 5.5 in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Julian Pett

Julian Pett Guest

Dear Electricians Forum Member,

The new PV*SOL Expert program has just been released but will not be publicly promoted for another two weeks.

It’s packed full of exciting new features and marks a significant development in the world’s number one PV simulation software package.

We’re offering a one-off deal exclusively for Electricians Forum Members to purchase this software at 10% below the advertised selling price!

The offer is available from now until the end of play on Wednesday the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] of March 2012.

We will be adding information to this thread on a daily basis until then so please drop by each day for more information. Each post will be hyperlinked to our sneak preview page on our website that only Electricians’ Forum members can see. There you can download the free demo version and try it out for yourself for no charge. If you need any help just call our technical support line on 0905 160 016 and we will be happy to assist. If you want to order then please call sales on 0845 519 7914.

Not only will we be offering this discount to all new purchases made by forum members, but also to forum members wanting to upgrade from PV*SOL Pro 4.5 or update from PV*SOL Expert 5.0.

If you have older versions of the software that you would like to update or upgrade then please get in touch for pricing information.

Be sure to quote the code EF-FEB12 along with your Electricians Forum membership number with your order.

In addition, if you know anybody who would like to partake in this offer but is not an Electricians’ Forum member, get them to join the forum first and they will become eligible – as long as they sign up and place their order with us before the end of play on Wednesday 7[SUP]th[/SUP] March 2012.

Please feel free to send us an email to [email protected] or phone 0845 519 7914.

View attachment 10827

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      276.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  2. SolarCity

SolarCity Electrician's Arms

Re: PV*SOL Expert 5.5 Launch. Sneak preview and exclusive Electricians Forum discount

Brilliant additions. Looking forward to having a blast on it.

3. SolarCity

Re: PV*SOL Expert 5.5 Launch. Sneak preview and exclusive Electricians Forum discount

How much would an upgrade from 5.0 be?

4. lspelectrical

lspelectrical Guest

Ours was £565 for gridcon.

5. SolarCity

Another £565? I can't justify that.

6. moggy1968

moggy1968 Electrician's Arms

Not for a difficult to use, unituitive tool that just gives me glorified sketches!

7. lspelectrical

lspelectrical Guest

Nor could we really, but the worst thing is I'm finding it almost impossible to use, for the one project we really needed it for. I'd give anything for zoom, merge & group.:dizzy2:

The cheek of it is, you pay out all that money and then they want another £100 odd for the software maintenance agreement and 51p per minute for technical help. The videos, such as they are, are mostly in German, and the help files don't seem to cover anything I want to know about. I read on the demo preview that objects could be grouped, but a search of the word group in the helpfile brings up ... nothing. The program doesn't come pre-set-up for the UK market either. Pollution data is German and UK tariff doesn't exist either. They do offer "spreadsheets" or "pdfs" to help with that though!!

8. SolarCity

The software is tricky to get the hang of but once you do, you can't be without it. Superb tool.

The updates are far too expensive though.

9. moggy1968

yep, I've found it a bit of a let down. Overly complex, unintuitive, difficult to use and poorly set up for the UK, and expensive.
    A really useful thing would be a ruler tool so you could actually measure how far apart objects are rather than guessing, but thats just the drawing side, don't even get me into the reports , the figures of which don't stand up to scrutiny, possibly because I'm not inputting the data correctly, but then who knows, it's so damn complicated!

10. lspelectrical

lspelectrical Guest

I haven't even begun to look at the reports properly yet and I've been using PV-Sol Pro for over a year!! We don't use them for clients at all. I just want to join two roofs together, a hip and a tent, and put one array across them both. I think it can be done, but I've no idea how, and I've been working on this for a solid 12 hours now!

11. lspelectrical

lspelectrical Guest

Think I may have got you all jumping up and down about the price on a falsehood.:blush5:

I upgraded from PV-Sol PRO 4.5 to PV-Sol EXPERT 5.5 for £565. So it wasn't just an update, but an upgrade as well.

The Software Maintenance Agreement I had for PRO didn't cover Expert, but they offered me a pro-rata refund for that. Without pro-rata that works out at about £176.96. All of it is too expensive though anyway IMO, without masses of free support.

12. moggy1968

do what I did before I had PVsol, get the graph paper out and draw it, it's quicker and easier!

13. lspelectrical

lspelectrical Guest

I'm just not clever enough to draw the shade analysis though!!

14. moggy1968

is that really necessary though? The spreadsheet I use for SAP calcs just has 'non or minimal, some, heavilly shaded' thats adequate for needs as the figures are pessimistic anyway.

15. lspelectrical

lspelectrical Guest

Well I suppose that depends. You are right and I agree that the regulations cover you if you choose one of the shaded options. But what is the difference between modest and significant shading? What most, including myself would have considered modest or even minimal shading, can in fact turn out to be "significant" as far as output is concerned. It would seem to me that the SAP calculations are woefully inadequate when it comes to shading. Shading is down the queue after orientation and pitch when it comes to output, but seems to be one of the most, if not, the most important factor. We have seen significant drops in output from self-shading of a lower bay roof and just a chimney, (which is what we are investigating at the moment).

And whilst some of our clients are happy to just go on SAP figures alone, we have a fair few who get very technical and certainly want to see a more detailed analysis. I certainly would gladly go back to pencil and graph paper and a few SAP calcs if I thought the public would be happy with it. But as with everything, we find that people are more demanding nowadays, (and quite rightly so). Also SAP doesn't take into account location, placement and choice of panel combined with inverter etc, all of which make a good deal of difference to output. Obviously, the higher the output, the higher the return and the more chance of selling the package.

Oops too long a post - giving up with PV-Sol for today and getting some shuteye!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.