Discuss telephone connection.. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GT1

Had to swop out an old BT master box today..
but found that the colour coding of the incoming cores differs to modern cable..

the master plate appeared to have 3 connectors marked A,B, and C.
Only the the A & B connectors had cores to them..
A=orange (solid colour)
B=white (solid colour)

The 2 other incoming cores are solid green and solid black and appear to joined.

I need to replace this old face plate for new, and put an extension from it for the sky TV..

Can anyone tell me what the colour conversion would be to new colours, so i know what goes where, and im curious as to why only 2 of the cores are connected at the moment, when the info I have read shows that 4 of them need connecting..?
cheers...

I wondered about the two spare being for broadband, but that cant be 'cos I have seen a modern one with just two connected and the broadband worked fine...

Not sure how that would work hopefully someone will explain but if only two and you make a telephone call how do you access the internet with lines already in use surely thats back to good old dial up those were the days:rolleyes:

Chris

Well..
Done a little search on google.. found this...
UK Telephone Wiring

which states..
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman]The BT Drop Cable (The cable coming from the outside world)

[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman]This often has Orange, White, Green and Black wires. Usually (but not always) Orange and White are the active pair and go to connections 2 and 5. In some master boxes (such as the type with a removable front section) they go to two connectors marked A and B. [/FONT]

So.. looks like orange to 2 and white to 5
.. as stated by Mark Sparks..
As to why the broadband works with just 2 wires....... MIRRORS..

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to telephone connection.. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net