Discuss Telephone Line Questions in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eskimo39

Does anyone here install telephone cables when wiring houses? We installed several sockets at a customers house 1 master followed by 5 slaves. However his broadband router only seems to work on the master socket. I have checked and all lines seem to be connected fine.

Does anyone know what the difference is between a master and slave socket, and can you have more than one master on a circuit or does it not really make any difference?

Finally can you buy any type of device to test phone lines for data and voice installations?

Thanks in advance

Only the first socket should be a master, this has a capacitor in to create the ring.
Your first socket (master) should start with the blue and blue white, away from that then connect all the no 2 together with blue, all the 3 together with orange and all the 5 together with white blue

hi

well thats wot i thought, but a mate of mine is hot on this stuff and i had the same problem with the broad band not working so i got him out to have a look and he chopped the orange and no trouble since. im no expert on telephones but ive had a few customers reporting this problem and by doing that works every time. dont ask how though :confused:

hi

well thats wot i thought, but a mate of mine is hot on this stuff and i had the same problem with the broad band not working so i got him out to have a look and he chopped the orange and no trouble since. im no expert on telephones but ive had a few customers reporting this problem and by doing that works every time. dont ask how though :confused:

i only ever do blue and blue white and i have had no problems

Orange (no3) is commonly known as the ring line, if this is not connected it wont stop you ringing out and if you are lucky and pick the phone up when someone is ringing then you can take the call but if it is not connected then the phone will not ring after the first master socket

I've always connected them all ! never had any probs. I was once told that broad band wouldn't work off a spur from one of the points, but works fine in my gaff and mines spurred!

The old telephones we used to use did require the ring back not any more your phones will still ring without it. Connect pins 2 + 5 Blue/Blue white piggy back off this to the next socket and I don't bother with slaves any more masters all the way then you can pickup broadband any were.

The only thing to be aware of is the further away you get from your main incoming socket the less bandwidth you get but its negligable.

Does anyone know what the difference is between a master and slave socket, and can you have more than one master on a circuit or does it not really make any difference?

A master has the out of service and ring circuit components fitted, a slave has no components fitted. as the name implies only one master should be fitted, masters can be used as slaves if the components are removed

I assume your master socket is a NTE5 (split front plate) but is it fitted with NTE2000 broadband filter which would stop your router working on the slaves

The ring wire No3 connection is no longer required and if connected may cause interference problems on ADSL2 connections, BT introduced a product called I-Plate (interstitial plate) which isolates the ring circuit to stop the induced interference that causes problems with the ADSL

Finally can you buy any type of device to test phone lines for data and voice installations?

There is kit available but a engineers butt phone is very useful and not too expensive and an oscilloscope if you have one available can help identify line problems on ADSL and the REDCARE security signalling products supplied by BT

Reply to Telephone Line Questions in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net