Discuss Telephone points etc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

How many of you guys take on work wiring phone points an the like? Recently I have been asked to do this sort of work. I mean wiring a new phone point extension is simply enough but what about when it comes to fault finding, upgrading junction boxes to master sockets etc? Should sparks really be going this work or is telecoms work a different entity altogether?

quite simple. another string to your bow if you can do phones.

and make sure computers are shut down as it slows there speed down (long story but trust me)

Give us the long story then because I have never had the problem

Oh so simple, just remember if there is broadband on the same line then filters everywhere ;-)

Depending on the the way the installation is configured filters are not needed every where. I suggest you look at using an NTE - 2005 or the vDSL Faceplate saves having filters every where or them being unplugged and causing broadband problems. The vDSL faceplate is used on the faster BT Infinity broadband installations but either type will work on any broadband installation

When installing phone points thought needs to be given to the master jack location as BT will apparently only install the Infinity modem and router on the master jack

Give us the long story then because I have never had the problem

Depending on the the way the installation is configured filters are not needed every where. I suggest you look at using an NTE - 2005 or the vDSL Faceplate saves having filters every where or them being unplugged and causing broadband problems. The vDSL faceplate is used on the faster BT Infinity broadband installations but either type will work on any broadband installation

When installing phone points thought needs to be given to the master jack location as BT will apparently only install the Infinity modem and router on the master jack

coincidence. within 5 minutes ofreading your post, i've just had a new customer phoned up, wants aphone extension point upstairs for BT broadband. armed with that knowledge, i'll go prepared to move his master socket to where he wants the router. thanks.

coincidence. within 5 minutes ofreading your post, i've just had a new customer phoned up, wants aphone extension point upstairs for BT broadband. armed with that knowledge, i'll go prepared to move his master socket to where he wants the router. thanks.

FYI the BT engineer will install the vDSL plate on the master jack if it is an Infinity connection

so i i just leave him with a master where the router is to go, and slaves elsewhere, should be OK?

just been to have a look. house is 80's -90's build. underground feed into telecom box in garage. from there are 2 lines. 1 is redundant/cut off, but is cabled to where he wants his router. my thoughts are to divert this cable to the live line and tap in the other socket which is currently in use, but swap that socket for a slave.

Be careful Tel, a lot of the new installs on the main NTE 5 are optic fibre from street to the customers lead in.

At the prices BT are quoting can't see FTTP / FoD being a realistic cost option for a residential install. The BT Infinity FTTC option is probably more likely so no fibre optic worries at the premises

so i i just leave him with a master where the router is to go, and slaves elsewhere, should be OK?

Yes

just been to have a look. house is 80's -90's build. underground feed into telecom box in garage. from there are 2 lines. 1 is redundant/cut off, but is cabled to where he wants his router. my thoughts are to divert this cable to the live line and tap in the other socket which is currently in use, but swap that socket for a slave.

Assuming the existing cables have 2 pairs or more connect to the master on 1 pair then loop back from it on the removable front plate on the second pair and through connect onto the other cable to connect the secondary socket is the way I would do it as it maintains the the test facility on the master as it disconnects the secondary sockets

Think i unnerstand that. But both the redundant cable and the cable to the existing house phone sockets come from the telecom external box.

At the prices BT are quoting can't see FTTP / FoD being a realistic cost option for a residential install. The BT Infinity FTTC option is probably more likely so no fibre optic worries at the premises
Spoke to BT colleague,he said on a lot of big new build developments they are running in optic fibre on the d side of the network from cabinet right up to customer's premises.

How many of you guys take on work wiring phone points an the like? Recently I have been asked to do this sort of work. I mean wiring a new phone point extension is simply enough but what about when it comes to fault finding, upgrading junction boxes to master sockets etc? Should sparks really be going this work or is telecoms work a different entity altogether?

Dont know about you guys but generally in the stuff I do, we take every data point back to a patch panel then have the most tedious job of making of somewhere in the region on 100-200 data cables into the cabinet.... Looks neat when done though i guess.. Just a big part of a sparks job these days

Reply to Telephone points etc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net